Chapter 25: Dropped Formalities

'Ichigo.' said Zero two.

'H-'

'Cut the crap - we both don't get along because of someone else, which in my opinion is stupid... If you do have a problem with me being with Hiro, I suggest you fuck off.'

Zero two looked at each bunk, taking in all the belongings on each bed, noting that every bunk was taken up by a different girl from the squad.

She threw her bag under the window, between the two bunks and left the room after.

'Wait!' called Ichigo, at the door. 'Just hear me out!'

'Done that already.' replied Zero two, her pace not slowing. 'And look where it led us...'

'I want to make amends!'

Zero two stopped.

'Why?'

'Because I was no better than a Nazi from WW2...'

'I'm not Jewish. I'm an Atheist.'

'I meant being discriminative about your looks... You've done wonders for Hiro...'

'You still care?'

'I do. As captain, and as a childhood friend. I suppose that means you know about what I was doing, then.'

'It wasn't hard.'

'What was? Getting the answer out of Hiro or figuring it out yourself?'

'Both. I made my assumptions and then I heard a little from him to make my conclusion... humans are always like you...' she said turning back towards the dining area, where everyone was to meet up for lunch, after unpacking.

'I'm sorry.'

'Don't care.'

'Would you, if I told you why I felt as sceptical as I did?'

'No; I already know why. One, I'm not human and therefore a threat; two, you were jealous of our pre-existing bond; and three, you thought that it would be you that would make him get out of the ditch he was in...'

'I felt sceptical because of how you acted towards everyone and Hiro... And-'

'You still do, don't you... I wouldn't judge you any differently if you didn't... Humans are always like that, and I'm not expecting you to go against your nature to be friends with me, especially if it's something forced...'

Zero two walked towards the camp cafeteria. Ichigo ran up to Zero two and stood next to her, falling into pace.

'When I say I want to make amends, I mean it... It was wrong for me to do something so... human... I'm sorry... I don't know you as well as Hiro does, but I want to be someone that doesn't make you angry... I feel responsible for what happened - for everything that happened, and I want to make it better...'

'If what you're saying is in fact true... We'll have Hiro decide if we could really be friends... I like the idea, but my experience with humans, before coming to this school wasn't the best and you didn't make it any better... So we'll see what Hiro thinks of this...'

Ichigo stopped following her and watched her as she continued walking, before going back to the dorms.

The other three girls had returned from the bathroom and all looked curiously at Ichigo.

'We're sorry about earlier, Ichigo... We shouldn't have treated you in such a way...' said Kokoro.

'We really shouldn't have; we're sorry Ichigo...' said Miku.