Chapter 29: Past, Present and Future

Zero two's words sunk into Ichigo, like fangs in a snake's prey.

Ichigo's eyes flashed in anger.

'Is it even possible for you to even give him love?!' she said angrily.

As soon as she said it, she regretted it more so.

Just by looking, you could see the hurt in Zero two's eyes and face.

She began to tear up a little and turned to walk away.

'Zero two, I'm–' Ichigo began.

'Shut up...' Zero two's voice sounded a little hollow. 'I don't want to talk to you, especially when I started to trust you...'

Goro, watching, felt like he needed to put his arm on Ichigo's or try to hold her back, but he reckoned he shouldn't in this situation.

Besides, he didn't need to, as Ichigo decided against following her.

A minute or so after Zero two had left their sight, Ichigo spoke through silence.

'What is wrong with me... What is wrong with me...'

Goro went to comfort her, receiving a welcomed surprised.

She hugged him.

≈ θ ≈

The events after the rushed trip back to the academy flew in and out of the students' minds. What most new about the incident was that some kid had gotten hurt badly and was in need of medical attention that the camp could not provide. This led to the entire grade to wake up the next morning and leave as soon as they had finished their breakfasts. The night prior, they were told to pack their bags and belongings with the instructions and information that they would be leaving early the next morning. For Squad 13... they knew exactly why they were leaving. Or at least to some degree.

At school, everyone was told to go to their rooms and unpack, getting ready for the week ahead of them. Rumours had been spreading about the injured student and what had happened that night. Those who had "seen" what happened were being relentlessly interrogated by other students to the point where they were lying about seeing anything.

Zero two and Ichigo had... battled, one could say, over the "privilege" to be by Hiro's side as he slept and rested. Both, and the rest of the squad, were then banned from entering his room or even allowed to stand at the doorway. Zero two almost started a fight with the adults, as some suspicious-looking man went into the room, to which none in the squad recognised but Zero two. Even if she had begun a fight with the adults, most of the squad doubted that she would be able to get through all of them before reaching Hiro, conscious.

'Why. Can't. I. See. My. Darling!' shouted Zero two at Nana. She was currently being held back by two adults, struggling against her inhuman strength.

'Because he is in a condition that prohibits visitation from anyone that is not qualified.' she replied. 'You will just have to wait.'

'That's what you've been all saying!' Zero two cried out as she was carried farther from the sickbay. 'So stop giving me that bullshit and tell me what is wrong with him!'

Nana didn't respond to Zero two's threat, only signalling to the two adults with a nod. One responded with taking a syringe to the horned fury's neck. A second of struggling, and she was out. Nana called out to them to take her to the other medical bays and have her put under tests.

The squad looked at their mentor worriedly and fearful.

Nana looked back at them and gave them a sad look before turning to Ichigo and giving her strict instructions to keep everyone in the squad from entering.