Chapter 31: Productivity in Itself

Zorome waited in the darkness for Mitsuru's response.

Nothing.

He waited for a little while until he settled back under the covers.

Not a minute later he woke again and peeked his head across at Mitsuru's bunk.

'Mitsuru!' he whisper-shouted. 'You awake?'

He heard him sigh in defeat.

'Yes, I'm awake...' he yawned. 'What do you want, it's too late for this...'

'I just wanted to know...' began Zorome, too embarrassed to continue.

Mitsuru waited for his response by rubbing his eye tiredly.

'What? Wanted to know what?' he asked groggily. 'If it's not important I'm going to sleep...'

'It's nothing... I think...' was all Zorome said.

Mitsuru waited longer to see if he would answer. He didn't and so he decided to fall asleep.

'Mitsuru–' began Zorome.

'Uggggghhhhhhhh...'

≈ θ ≈

The next morning, the sun rose high and warm, cascading over the school and through the glass of Zorome, Mitsuru and Futoshi's dorm window.

It was now the weekend, as the last day of the school week had met its end and they would be enjoying the weekend without Hiro or Zero two.

When Mitsuru was getting dressed, he noticed that Zorome was staring out the window and into the courtyard.

Mitsuru finished putting on his shirt and looked outside to see what it was he was looking at.

He couldn't see anyone or anything of importance, so he assumed Zorome was actually using his head for once.

But looking back at the courtyard... Mitsuru got the feeling that maybe someone had been there... someone that meant something to the blonde idiot.

≈ θ ≈

Breakfast came and the squad all met up to eat it.

Mitsuru said his first "good morning" to his girlfriend and they all sat down, Mitsuru and Kokoro together, of course.

Ichigo and Goro did something similar but only more discreetly, as Ichigo was still a little uncomfortable with people outside of the squad knowing about their relationship.

It seemed normal, a little quieter for some reason, but aside from that, it was only a little empty from Zero two and Hiro's absence.

While Kokoro was busy eating her pancakes, Mitsuru looked at Zorome, wondering how much food he must have had on his plate to actually shut him up.

Zorome's plate was almost bare, with little to no food on it.

There was no food in his mouth, but the look in his eye said it all.

Mitsuru knew exactly why Zorome was looking at Miku. He knew what it was like, to look on from a distance, at his crush. He knew it all too well.

'Zorome.' Mitsuru said, followed by him raising a suggestive eyebrow. 'We'll talk later...'

Zorome nodded embarrassedly.

Breakfast resumed and continued as such with little interruption from Zorome, who stayed quiet and thoughtful.

Most had begun to notice this and had all taken a moment to look at him, questioningly.

He continued poking and eating his food. Slowly.