Chapter 26: Holdfast, Tides are turning

'Mild concussion, no fractures or breaks, and aside from that just a bit of shock.' reported the adult. 'He should be able to join you on tomorrow's activities.'

Futoshi lay in a medical bed that the camp's sickbay had to offer. He had his bandage removed from his head soon after his first few hours of staying there. He had a black eye to add to the look.

All of the squad stood around the bed, minus Zero two, looking worriedly down at him.

'See? He'll be fine...' said Nana.

Everyone began to slowly move out of the room, save for Kokoro who stayed back. Nana had left with the other squad members and there were no adults in the room, presently.

She sobbed and fell down to the side of his bed.

'Futoshi, you idiot! You scared me!' she cried.

He didn't respond.

'Why did you do it? Why did you do... it... why...'

She sat by his bed for a minute or so longer, about to leave. She stood up, turned and heard a hum-like sound come from Futoshi.

'Are you-' she said, spinning on her heel. '... alright...'

He lay there, grinning comfortingly, through his swollen eyes.

'K... Koko... ro...' he mumbled.

'Yes!' she said in panic.

'Please *cough*... don't cry for me...'

'What are you talking about?'

His smile flickered and Kokoro noticed little tears forming under the pressure of his eyelids.

'I-I've seen you...' his voice began to flicker with his smile. 'with M-Mitsuru... h-happier th-than when you're with m-me...'

'I don't...'

'I s-supposed y-you would-dn't...' his breathing started hitching and hiccuping, showing his best efforts to suppress his emotions. 'N-No one needs-s-s to w-worry about m-me...'

He began bawling; his eyes now a fountain of salty water. She hugged him tight until he was calm enough to talk. He would stutter here and there, but that was to be expected. She was more concerned with what was going through his head and not his mouth.

'What do you mean, when you say that?' she asked.

He didn't respond, eventually giving in.

'I thought we would be together forever...' he said.

She blushed slightly at this and he continued to give his pitiful smile.

'But y-you look happier with Mitsuru than with me...'

'It's not like that!'

'Isn't it? I guess I'm n-not as good as understanding people as I am with eating food...' he chuckled. 'I don't want you to be sad about me Kokoro... I 've seen you, happy with Mitsuru! Even if he is a dickhead sometimes... I haven't seen him so... smiley...'

'Futoshi, it's not like that!'

'Even if isn't, you didn't respond to my feelings, so that means that you're not interested... and that's fine, I guess... *sigh*'

She contemplated his words quietly as he continued his laboured breathing.

True to the adult's word, he was getting better rather quickly. Maybe he got a boost from the muffin he ate earlier.

'But,' he said, reaching for her hand. ' promise me, you'll still be my friend... please...'

She hugged him tightly.