Chapter 23: Tides Turning with a New Moon

WARNING: "Mature Language" in the current and following chapters

Also, please read the short Author's note if you don't usually, it's just going to be discussing the next few chapters.

Thank you

Ichigo's hand was over her mouth, in hopes that she wouldn't alert the three adults that she stood just outside of the door.

They continued for more until she had, of course, made the smallest of sounds.

It was just the quietest, but enough to have all three adults slowly look towards the doorway.

The three adults were talking until something had made Ichigo listen more closely to the conversation, once they began mentioning the fatality rate involved, well... I'm sure you can guess what happened.

Ichigo couldn't see inside out of fear of looking and being found, so all she could hope was that the adults would brush it off as some creak in the building.

No word was spoken between any of the adults which meant that...

Hachi turned the corner almost inhumanly fast. It was rumoured that he and some of the adults at the academy had served the military or had advanced training of sorts. Whoever he was supposed to catch wasn't there to see his skills as they had fled down the corridor and vicinity.

Hachi had only seen the vaguest of impressions of the eavesdropper, the only sign of there being anyone was the rushed pitter-patter that came from far down the hall.

'What was that?' asked Nana. 'Is it of any concern?'

'No, there's no concern...' replied Hachi.

Hachi and Nana exchanged a look before continuing on with the conversation.

Eventually, the question that had been bothering them all was asked by Nana,

'If the Special Specimen does undergo the metamorphosis, is it curable or reversible? Is it possible that they could... recover from the experience?'

There was more silence amongst them until the doctor answered.

'I for one, do not know... As I have said before; we have never seen the transformation go this far due to fatality rate the procedure has... We will just have to wait and find out... Nanan, are you taking Squad 13 for the upcoming camp-week? If you have not already, please do... Papa wishes for the pair to be kept under close monitoring...'

'Do not worry, Doctor... I was in care for these students since their early developing stages and I will see to it that they will continue to grow... whether some select few, change in unexpected ways...'

'Very good -  I will see you all once this week had come to its conclusion...'

The doctor left the room, leaving the younger pair alone.

They did not speak, only looking at each other to communicate their concerns for the next... experiment...

It was going to be a very long week.

≈ θ ≈

Ichigo rushed in a panicked state towards the dorms of Mistleteinn, it being too late to discuss with the rest of the squad.

She stopped for a moment to realise that she wouldn't have anyone to really turn to... Because of her actions on the night, she hadn't found a way to drift back any closer to her friends...