Part 9

"You're more hassle than you're worth, Megs." Sighing as they were motioned to follow yet another security guard into a side room, Darryl shook his head. Nodding as if to say he knew, Mega hugged his arms to his chest and looked at the floor, eyes welling up.

"Don't listen to him," Zak murmured, "We wouldn't leave you there for the world." Leaning down and holding his arms out, he pulled him up and balanced him on one hip.

"You know that's not what I meant," Darryl replied softly, sitting down on one of the hard plastic chairs. Zak sat next to him, Mega on his lap, and he put his arm around him.

The door swung open behind them, and they turned to see a familiar face strolling in. "Dr. Snow?!" Zak's eyes widened as she sat down behind the interrogation desk.

"How do you know my - oh!" Laughing, she dumped her files on the table in front of her and crossed her arms over her chest. "What have you done this time?"

"Well, um... we may have accidentally adopted a child on our honeymoon," Darryl blushed, looking away.

"You WHAT?" Grinning, she turned to Zak. "You were always an impulsive idiot, but seriously? I've been called in to check you're not psychopaths, everyone thinks you're trying to traffic children."

"Oh my goodness..."

Putting his arms tighter around Mega, Zak frowned. "I promise we're not, you have to believe us. They were going to kill him, we couldn't just leave him there." Pausing for a second, he tilted his head curiously to one side. "How come you're here, Doctor?"

"I'm on duty for mental health assessments. They wanted me to work out if you're telling the truth or not. And you can call me Rosa."

"Okay... Rosa. Do you need all of the paperwork again, then?"

"If you don't mind, yeah. I believe you, but I need it to register the details on our system, if you don't want to be stopped at the door. Although," she winked, "it'd be quite funny if you got arrested for alleged child trafficking."

"Hey, whose side are you on?!" Handing over their adoption documents, Darryl rolled his eyes.

"Calm down..." reading through the papers and scanning them onto her system, Rosa gave them a green document. "Sign the bottom, and you're good to go."

"Thanks, we owe you one." Scrawling his name at the bottom, Zak handed the papers to Darryl.

"I see you're still incapable of keeping hold of things yourself," she laughed, giving back their legal documents as well.

"Shut up," Zak grumbled, giving her a death stare but unable to keep from laughing. "At least it meant someone knew who to call if I suddenly died."

"Speaking of dying, I was always curious if you horny idiots followed my instructions." Rosa smirked as they spluttered and avoided eye contact. "I'll take that as a no, then... I hope you left it at least two weeks, though, right?"

"Well, um..." Turning bright red and fixating on a spot on the ground, Zak trailed off guiltily.

"Oh, God. Please tell me you didn't leave only a week in between," she sighed wearily, looking between them both.

Clearing his throat and shying away nervously, Darryl mumbled, "It was more like a day."

"You WHAT?!" Clenching her fists and stepping forwards, Rosa glared at him. "You have FIVE SECONDS to get out of my sight, before I kill you. Do you know how bloody dangerous that was?!"

"Hey, calm down!" Pulling Darryl protectively behind him, Zak turned a pleading gaze back to Rosa. "It was my fault, he didn't want to! I wanted to have some fun, that's all."