Part 13

"So let me get this straight... you're a demon?"

"No! Were you even listening?" Rolling his eyes, Wilbur crossed his arms defensively over his chest. "He's not a demon, he's half human."

"And he's just... really needy?" Ally asked incredulously.

Bursting into laughter at her summary, Wilbur nodded. "I guess you could call it that... I promise he's completely safe," he explained, turning to the blushing Jay, "but he just needs to feel loved. Otherwise he literally loses his mind."

"Shut it, Soot," Jay growled, but he curled up into his arms all the same. "I really am sorry, Alice. I'm just glad you're still here," he mumbled, looking down.

Not bothering to correct him, she leaned forwards and patted his knee. "It's okay, I understand. But we really should get home now."

"We...? Ooh, are we moving again?" Perking up straight away, Jay turned his bright eyes to Clay.

"I- uh..." Looking helplessly back at him, Clay shrugged. He felt a sudden wave of heat hit his chest. "I guess you could... visit, if you want? Or you could move in? There's a spare room! You can have it-"

Covering Jay's eyes, Wilbur grinned as he snapped out of his trance. "Don't let him influence you, we don't have to visit if you don't want."

"What was that?"

Giving him an evil grin, Jay replied, "I was just inviting myself over."

"I'm impressed, as much as I hate to admit it," Ally sighed, "and I owe you one, so I guess the offer for just a visit still stands."

"Yesss!" Jumping up and dragging Wilbur with him, Jay picked up the door and propped it against the wall. Gesturing for them to go through, he laid it in the doorframe and smiled, proud of his handiwork.

"You'd better not leave it there. That does not count as fixed," Wilbur threatened, calling after him as he headed towards the door, "horns!"

"Oops." Closing his eyes and shaking his head as they disappeared back into his hair, he headed out into the street. "Which way?"

Clay pulled Ally close, putting his lips to her ear and hissing, "What are you doing? They're complete strangers!"

Returning the embrace and meeting his eyes, she whispered, "They seem nice. And it's the least I can do, I would be a lot worse off if Wilbur didn't come in when he did."

Not wanting to think about that, he pulled her protectively closer and murmured, "I guess I should be grateful, then."

From across the road, Jay smiled. "You think we're nice? That's sweet." Looking at their shocked expressions, he just shrugged. "I have good hearing. If it makes you feel better, the girl wouldn't have been aware of what was happening last night, or have any memories of it. Similar to that of you inviting me over, despite not wanting to, she would have been unable to break free. I guess you could say I'm irresistible," he smirked, winking at him and blowing a deliberate kiss to Ally.

"I don't care what you are, or how 'dangerous' you supposedly are, but if you EVER go near my Ally again, I'll put a knife through your skull," Clay threatened in a low voice. Spinning on his heel, he went to take her hand - but she had walked away.

Whipping his head back around, he saw her walking slowly across to Jay. Her eyes were glassy, and he was keeping constant eye contact with her, drawing her closer. "Stop, you freak!" He threatened, trying to pull her away, but he felt an invisible force rooting him to the spot. Jay just smiled back, unfazed as he slipped an arm around Ally's waist - then kissed her cheek.