Part 17

As Zelk slipped back through the front door, George in tow, he heard his name being called. Turning guiltily to face Clay, he tried to put on a casual smile. "I thought you'd gone out?"

"No, I didn't feel like it. Ally went without me, but I'm sure she doesn't mind."

She really doesn't mind, does she? Oh right, storyline, I'll stay out of it-

"What was that?" George wrapped his arms nervously around Zelk's waist, putting his chin on top of his head. "It was like... a voice of some sort?"

"Sounded like a writer's perspective," Clay shrugged. Frowning slightly, George nodded.

"A writer's voice. Seems accurate... but a writer of what?"

"Have you ever heard of this thing called a Naba?" Taking their confused expressions as a no, Clay smiled. "Neither have I."

A few seconds passed, then Zelk started to giggle quietly and shook his head. "You're mental. Let's go to bed at least, honey," he murmured, turning to give George a peck on the cheek.

Seeing the glint in his eyes, George nodded eagerly. "Yeah, it's pretty late... see you around." With that, he took Zelk's hand and they started to slink upstairs.

Watching their retreating figures, Clay sighed and followed up the stairs. Checking his phone for what felt like the thousandth time, he glanced at all the messages he'd sent to Ally.

Clay (10:15): How's your night going?

Clay (10:47): Just wondering if you're coming home tonight, I'll wait up for you

Clay (11:32): I know you're probably busy, but let me know if you're okay if you can x

Clay (11:51): You okay baby?

Clay (12:40): If you need me, ring me. I'm going to bed, but my phone will be next to me x

There wasn't much more he could do. Stripping down to his underwear, he lay on top of his covers to stare at the ceiling and pass the time.

Just as his eyes were closing, his phone lit up and "Ally" flashed on the screen. He snatched it off of his bedside table, picking up and sighing in relief.

"Hello?"

After a beat of silence, Ally spoke. "I didn't see your messages."

Relaxing, Clay ran a hand through his hair. "That's fine, I just wanted to know you were safe, after-" He cut himself off nervously. "Did you need picking up?"

"You sound tired, it doesn't matter. I guess I'll just find a taxi..." She left a hopeful pause, deliberately making it clear that she wanted a lift.

Reluctantly standing up, Clay murmured, "I'll come and get you, baby. Where are you?"

Didn't you say you were going to bed, idot? She knew exactly-

"SHUT UP!"

Unfazed by his outburst, Ally giggled quietly. "Naba again?"

"I don't know what that was..."

"It doesn't matter. I'm on the corner by the bank, can you come and get me?"

"Wha- yes, of course," Clay mumbled. He pulled on a pair of jeans, not bothering with a shirt, and grabbed his keys. "I'll be there in ten."

"Okay, bye!"

A quiet click marked the end of their call, and Clay rubbed his eyes tiredly. He stumbled down the stairs and out to his car, yawning as he pulled out onto the road and started to head down towards the town.

Not really paying attention to where he was going, Clay jumped when he saw a familiar figure waving at him.

"You drove past me twice!"

"Oh - sorry..." Clay mumbled distractedly. His eyes were fixed on something behind her head. "What's he doing here?"

"Who?" Whipping her head around and visibly cringing, Ally replied, "I- I have no idea."

Clay narrowed his eyes at her, but didn't comment on it. "Get in, I'm tired."

Nodding meekly, Ally slid into the passenger seat and interlaced her fingers with his. "Let's go home."

The ride back was quiet, both of them lost in thought as the woods flashed past their windows. Ally couldn't help but keep glancing at Clay's exposed chest, using all of her self control to keep her hands to herself. He noticed and smirked.

"A little distracted, are we?"

Blushing and looking out of the window, she nodded. He laughed quietly, pulling into their driveway and cutting the engine. "Let's go to bed, I'm tired."

Walking around to her side of the car and opening the door, Clay winked. Just as Ally was about to start walking up the path, he grabbed her and lifted her up, so she was clinging to him like a monkey.

"What are you doing?!" Ally demanded, a smirk playing at the edge of her lips. She was cut off with a kiss, short and sweet, and she broke into a grin.

"I'm taking you to bed, baby," Clay whispered. "It looked fun when Dave did it, anyways." He tightened his grip on her legs, heading upstairs and carefully dropping her on the bed.

Eyes drifting to his chest yet again, Ally smiled. "You're a corny idot, I hope you know that."

"Believe me, I know," Clay quipped. He let his jeans fall to his ankles, joining her on top of the duvet and gently tugging her clothes off too, until they were both in their underwear. "You love it, though."

Sighing in content, Ally smiled and climbed onto his lap. "I love you..."

"I love you too, nub."

Tracing light circles on the contours of his chest, she gave him a drowsy kiss. "You want sex?"

Clay burst out laughing. "Very smooth..." He cupped her face in his hands, meeting her eyes. "You're exhausted, you should get some rest."

Not bothering to disagree, Ally shifted off and curled up under the covers. Clay copied her, and she pulled him close. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight, baby." Brushing the hair away from her face and wrapping his arms around her, Clay listened as her breathing slowed and she drifted off to sleep.

His mind was racing too much to fall asleep though. Screwing his eyes shut, he grimaced as he remembered Ally's guilty expression seeing Jay.

It was probably just from the other day though, right?

... Right?

---------------------------------------------------------

BAD AUTHOR YES I KNOW...

Love you all, and if you're still here after I abandoned yous, you're the best <3