Part 19

"Okay mini muffin, do your worst."

Mega slammed five cards down onto the table, smugly claiming the pile of chocolate in the middle. Shocked, Percy blinked a couple of times and put down his three nines. "Beaten by a kid in poker..."

"Royal flush," he shrugged, already happily chewing on a nougat bar.

Percy gave him a strange look, resisting the urge to comment on his casual talking. "So, you want to go again?"

Shaking his head and shielding his winnings with his little arms, Mega winked. He may be young, but he wasn't stupid. "Mine!"

Thump. Thump. Thump.

Curiously tilting his head towards the ceiling, he bit his lip. Before Percy knew it, he had jumped up and was climbing up the stairs on all fours to see what the noise was.

"NO!" Blushing furiously and trying to grab him, Percy tackled him to the ground. "I- I mean... You can't go upstairs! There's um... Fairies there, you don't want to scare them away!"

Thump. Thump. Thump.

Silently narrowing his eyes, Mega stopped struggling and went back to his stash of chocolate. Sighing heavily, Percy glanced doubtfully at the top of the stairs and followed, grabbing toys on the way to keep him distracted.

"Here, you want to play dinosaurs?"

Thump. Thump.

"Aaah! Ha- AAAH!"

"Ew..." He gave him a stuffed animal, trying to smile. "Looks like the fairies are practicing their singing," he grimaced.

Mega gave him a disparaging look. "I'm not dumb," he murmured, just loud enough for Percy to hear. He watched with amusement as he froze, spluttering and turning a deep shade of red.

"How do you... How do you know?"

"Mommy," he shrugged.

"Aren't you like TWO??"

Thump. Thump. Thump. Thump thump thump thump thu-

"Fuck! Harder! Haaah~!"

"Play with me piggy! Aah~!"

"Oh, for Christ's sake..." Storming down the stairs, Zak caught sight of Mega and breathed a sigh of relief. "Come here, muffin." He scooped him up in his arms, holding him tight.

"Oh... Hey, Zak," Percy shuffled his feet, suddenly awkward.

"Wait - Paige...?"

"Yeah. It's, um, it's Percy now."

"Oh." Taking a few seconds to process that, Zak nodded. "Good for you." He rolled his eyes as more loud moans floated down the stairs, followed by a long stream of French expletives. "I'm gonna take Megs away from this mess. I'll see you around."

"But I was meant to-"

"DARRY! GET YOUR ARSE DOWN HERE!"

"Oh, okay..." Slowly backing away, Percy let himself out. "Fine. I've got better things to do than be a sex babysitter." As he made his way down the drive, he heard the faint sounds of Zak and Darryl arguing. Smiling to himself, he left them to have their domestic in peace.

"I was asleep, you moron!"

"I know, I'm sorry," Zak tried to diffuse Darryl's anger, "but they left him alone so they could go fuck each other to death. What was I-"

"LANGUAGE!"

"Oh - Pork? Yeah, pork. They left him to pork each other." Trying to look innocent, he watched Darryl try to hide a smile. "Don't be mad..." Eyes wide, he held one of his hands.

"Ugh, fine."

"Yesss! Now come to the park with us."

"Whatever..." Pulling his trainers on, Darryl held his arms out to hold Mega while Zak found his shoes. "You okay, muffin? Just shut your ears for a bit, you don't need to hear this."

Laying his head on Darryl's chest, he murmured, "The fairies...?"

"Yeah, sure," Darryl laughed. It took him a few seconds to notice, but he almost dropped the poor kid on his head when he did. "You talked to me!"

Fear pooling in his eyes, Mega shied away and covered his face. A few tears escaped, and he tried to hide them, sniffing quietly.

Feeling him shaking, Darryl gently pulled his hands down and wiped his cheeks. "Don't be upset, muffin..." Tightening his grip, he lifted his chin up. "You can talk to us, you won't be in trouble. We just want to keep you safe, nothing bad's going to happen if you do."

Gently taking Mega back, Zak shook his head. "You can't be trusted for five seconds..."

"Hey, I didn't-"

"It doesn't matter. Come here, I want a hug too." Feeling two arms slide around his waist, he pulled a funny face at the tearful toddler. "Don't be sad, Megs. Let's go play something."

"OH MY GOD! AAHH~! KEEP GOING, FUCK FUCK-"

"OKAYYY, PARK TIME!" Practically running out of the door, Zak slammed it shut and covered Mega's ears. "Horny Europeans..."

Giving him a sly wink, Darryl whispered, "How come you don't scream like that?"

"Get moving, you gross man."

Walking down the drive, Zak winced at the faint moans floating out of the open windows. "Let's just go..."

-----------------------------------------------------------

Bad, terrible author who gave up completely, I know.

Thanks to Jjooll for getting me back on my feet. Love you ❤️