- five

aleyia

the same school week droned on as usual. same classes, same kids, same thing. i prided myself on the moment the bell rang ending class. i yanked my board out of my locker and followed the heard of my fast walking peers out of the building.

stepping out of the florescent lights into the late september weather made me wish i didn't choose to wear jeans. this was nevada, what was i thinking. i debated taking off my zip up hoodie but i was already wearing it off the shoulder. dropping off the steps, i broke off from the group of loud teens. i threw in my earbuds and skated away.

a mix of my lame ass music taste shuffled through my ears, some peep, too much joji, some wallows, freddie dread, and for some curve ball ass reason cuco. as i looked down to shuffle over a couple songs i caught a look at the date and nearly fell over.

september 30th.

tomorrow was october 1st.

benjis birthday.

i took a sharp left turn directly to the first drugstore i could find. i hung my skateboard on my bag strap by the truck and entered the automatic doors. i looked around trying to find anything good enough. i ended up grabbing a disposable camera and condoms as a joke, well kinda. i rode down the street to the nearest goodwill. after roaming the men's isle and found the illest mickey mouse crew neck and copped a couple shirts for myself.

on my way home i got a call from benji and answered through my earbuds.

"what's good banjo."

"i got a question." he states. "shoot." i respond curiously.

"i'm having a party tomorrow night for my birthday. my cousin got this sick air bnb in  Summerlin, and said i could use it for a night." he explains. "i was wondering if you wanted to pop up?"

"hell yeah." i respond excited. "hey are you coming over tonight? my dads out for an overnight job in reno."

"yeah i'll be there. i gotta go i'll talk to you later babygirl."

babygirl. that was the first time he's ever called me a nickname. i loved it.

i blushed exhaling a smile. "i'll talk to you later." i repeat. "bye ben." the phone clicked and i continued to ride flustered. babygirl.

i sat at the kitchen island packaging benji's presents into a plain brown gift box. i looked at the time on the oven clock. 11:37. i walked around the kitchen island looking through the cupboards for something to make before benji showed up. i reaches up for a plate that my short ass couldn't reach. standing on my tippy toes, i waddled back and forth still not touching the top of the stack. i got my finger tips on the very top plate and pulled it.

i gripped it loosely in my finger tips. at the same time a pair of arms grips tightly around my waist lifting me high into the air causing me to shriek. the plate slid back into place and i heard a familiar laugh. benji.

he set me down on the wood flooring and i sighed in relief, placing a hand on the counter top.

"hey." he chuckles.

"you scared the shit out of me." i turn to look at him. he was in a teddy fresh hoodie and a pair of black ripped jeans. "sorry." he kisses me on the forehead and reaches over me getting the plate i was reaching for.

i go to grab the plate out of his hands but he maintains a strong grip on it. "i'll make food don't worry."

"benji it's your birthday let me make the food."

"no, my birthday isn't for another 18 minutes." he protests. he sets the plate down and lifts me up from under my arms putting me on the kitchen counter.

he was acting differently. when he came over he usually snuck through the window and just wanted a quick fuck. but now he is in my kitchen giving me pecks on the forehead and making me food. i didn't realize until now how
much i wanted this. i was happy with what we had but now. now i wanted to call him mine. i wanted to hold his hand in the halls and meet up after class. i wanted to be his babygirl.

———————————————————————
january 4, 2020
747 words

i need someone's hand to wear as a necklace

d ☁️