Meltdown Part 1: Critical Levels

Tired.

In every conceivable way, the lean man clad in black felt tired. It was to be expected considering his modus operandi and general lifestyle. Nocturnal stealth missions were his specialty and honestly, he felt much more comfortable in the silence and darkness the night provided. No annoying press asking questions, no dealing with adorable old ladies whose cats were stuck on some tree, no stupid aspirant villains trying to make their name get known. One might think it is unwise to trade the night for the day, even more considering the amount of quality sleep he usually lacked, but so far the man with scruffy black hair got to balance this and his duties as a teacher. Until recently.

Aizawa stopped in front of the slightly darkened glass, staring inside the room. How many times did he come here and performed the same routine? How many loaves of bread? He absently brought a hand up to rub his eyes, a natural reflex that helped him endure whatever bothersome situation he found himself in, but then decided to use the collyrium he always brought inside his pocket. Chiyo always yelled at him because of that bad habit. With a folder full of papers under his arm, he walked to the metallic door of the room, letting out a tired sigh before pressing the open button and going in. He flinched internally in mental pain as the sound of her voice reached his ears.

"Oh, good morning, Aizawa-sensei! Did you sleep well?~" Toga said from her seat across a square table, her grin too wide and bright for some who woke at five in the morning.

The tall man ignored her attitude that was surely her way of safely teasing him and sat on the other chair across the table, lazily throwing the folder he carried. Aizawa ran a hand through his hair before speaking, his voice monotone as always.

"Before we start, Principal wanted me to deliver a small message. So far you have proved yourself quite useful, Toga. Thanks to your intel the pro heroes and police department managed to solve thirteen cases put on hold, though most of them involved you"

"What can I say? My work is that remarkable"

"We raided four hideouts and dismantled six illegal operations in the span of a month. We're tracking twelve Persons Of Interest, an increase of twelve since the Investigative Section began looking for obscure organizations. So to sum it all, you did us a huge favor, except that we're protecting you"

"I'm pleased to be of help" The blonde made a mock bow, to which Aizawa rolled his eyes, another habit of his.

Reaching the papers in front of him, the erasure hero began to flip through the many reports and files, selecting those which he judged more important and tossed them in front of the smiling blonde.

"That's nice and all, but all that you did was prove that you're reliable. I think you were aware of what would happen if you failed to do so"

"Yeah, yeah, I would go to jail"

"... Just so you can have a better grasp at your fragile situation, currently your sentence sums up to seven life imprisonment"

"Wow, I could wrap up a mummy with my criminal record"

"Keep that in mind always. Now it's time to get into the deeper levels, the big organizations that maintain the underworld running" Aizawa squinted his eyes, glared at Toga. "And of course, you'll tell me everything about the League" His tone was slightly lower than usual, though you could only notice after months in the class of the dark-haired teacher.

"... Ha... hahaha... hahahahaha. Sensei, that was fun. I didn't know you could joke"

"If you want to laugh go see Ms. Joke. I'm always dead serious when it comes to my job"

Toga held a defiant smile towards the man, resting her chin in one hand.

"Sensei, what makes you think I know anything about those things?"