Remembering

Krystal's POV

Krystal sat on her hut balcony, thinking. Shadow climbs up next to her and rests his head in her lap. The dragon purrs in question, scales turning yellow.

"It's nothing. I just...I'm just hoping it's not him." Krystal admits. She thinks back to that dreadful day...

Shadow had gotten caught in a dragon trap. Krystal desperately tries to pull the ropes off his legs so they could leave before the hunters came to check the trap.

"There you are, ya nasty dragon." Shadow quickly shoves the 10 year-old Krystal into some bushes, growling softly for her to stay put. Through the branches, Krystal could see the boots of a tall, muscular man. Looking farther up, Krystal sees a scar stretching across the man's neck and dark eyes glinting in the moonlight as they examine the trapped dragon. Shadow growls at the man, scales turning a mixture of reds.

"Now now, there won't be any of that." The man says as he steps closer to Shadow.

"Leave him alone!" Krystal shouts, jumping out of the bushes. She places herself between Shadow and the man. The man's eyebrows furrow in surprise and he laughs.

"Well, looks like the beast's got a pet." He smirks.

"You're not touching Shadow. He's my friend and I'll...I'll hurt you before you hurt him." Krystal says boldly, aiming an arrow at the man. She still didn't have a great aim, but there was no way Krystal could miss from this close.

"Little one, you have much to learn." The man smiles, stepping forward to grab the bow out of her grasp. Shadow's growl suddenly changed into a higher, almost laughing, pitch and both humans turn to look at the dragon. Krystal had given him enough time to cut through his ropes and the Scaleshifter now stood over the girl protectively. His amber eyes bore into the man as he lifts Krystal up and unto his back. The man tears his eyes away from the dragon to look at Krystal.

"We'll meet again, little one. You can count on that."

Krystal was hoping that she could count on her hope that they would never meet again. She never wanted to see Cavendish. Not now, not ever.