The Hunter and the Hunted

A/n: Art not mine.

Krystal's POV

It had been three months after Snoggletog and Krystal was hoping that everything would be fine. She and Hiccup were taking a walk through the forest, chatting about life. Toothless and Shadow were up ahead, wandering around. Krystal notices how Shadow suddenly sat up, looking around. His scales were turning an orange Krystal classified as the dragon being cautious.

"...and Fishlegs..." Hiccup was saying. Krystal quickly covers his mouth with her hand.

"Shh." Krystal hushes, holding a finger to her mouth. Hiccup looks at her in confusion, but nods. Krystal leads Hiccup forward, closer to the dragons. Toothless was nudging Shadow, trying to understand why the Scaleshifter had stopped playing.

"Toothless, stop." Krystal says. The Night Fury looks at Krystal, then at Hiccup, who nods. "What is it, Shadow?" Krystal whispers. Shadow growls slightly, peering into the brush ahead.

"Something's wrong." Hiccup states the obvious.

"Stay low." Krystal says. The girl walks to Shadow's side, crouching low. The dragon looks down at her. "Keep going." The dragon nods and starts to stalk forward, keeping Krystal half-hidden under his wing. They reach the bush and Krystal pulls the leaves back. A dark brown dragon egg sat in the middle of the bush. The egg turned blue as the light touched its shell.

"What is it?" Hiccup asks after the girl motioned for him to come.

"It's an egg." Krystal replies, peering closer. She gently picks up the egg, which turns pink at her touch.

"And it's mine." Both dragons and riders flip around at the voice. Cavendish smiles. "Thank you for doing the dirty work for me. I'll be taking that egg."

"Over my dead body." Krystal spits, hugging the egg closer. Cavendish rolls his eyes.

"Krystal, darling, you're outnumbered." Krystal's eyes widen as men start to appear from the brush. The odds were 15 to 4, counting the dragons.

"I see you've got some more friends." Krystal says, keeping an eye on each of the new arrivals.

"I've got more than just them." A loud roar sounds above the dragon riders and a Titan Deathsong lands before them. Shadow growls at the dragon, but memories of his past reflect through the Scaleshifter's mind.

"That's a Deathsong!" Hiccup exclaims.

"Yes, and it is the Scaleshifter's only predator." Cavendish smiles. The Deathsong screams at Shadow, who roars back with the same ferocity.

"Shadow!" Krystal shouts as the two dragons clash talons.

"Krystal, watch out!" Hiccup shoves the girl to the ground, blocking the incoming dart.

"Hiccup!" Krystal rushes to Hiccup's side as he collapses. The effects of the dart were already kicking in. "Hiccup, stay with me."

"You, my darling, and your precious dragon are coming with me." Cavendish sneers. A small bag is thrown between the two and Krystal stares at it as it starts to smoke. The forest clearing was soon filled with the smoke. Krystal coughs loudly, staying next to Hiccup.

"Follow me, we've got to get out of here." Someone runs to her side.

"Hiccup..." She coughs. The figure sweeps the boy up onto his shoulder, then grabs Krystal's arm, pulling her. Krystal allows herself to be lead as the figure rushes back into the forest, away from Cavendish. After a few minutes, the figure stops and lays Hiccup on the ground as Krystal manages to catch her breath.

"Thank you." She says.

"Hey, it's what friends do." The figure pulls his mask off and Krystal gasps.

"Newton?!"