Chapter One

THE WEAK CRY of Olivia stirred Nathaniel from his light sleep

THE WEAK CRY of Olivia stirred Nathaniel from his light sleep. He blinked a couple of times and rubbed a hand down his weary face. The midnight feedings were the worst, especially those on Friday night.

Life had fallen into a dismal pattern since Natasha's funeral. He'd never worked harder in his life than in the past two months. Keeping up with the kids and the house and his job left room for not a little ease. The demands seemed endless.

Nathaniel's family had pitched in helping every way they could. Between his mother and sisters, he was making it. But the awareness of appearing like he was dependent on them made things uncomfortable for him.

Olivia squalled again through the monitor, and Nathaniel tossed aside the cover and sat on the edge of the king-size bed. Blindly he searched with his feet for his slippers before he stood and slipped into his night robe, tie the knot around.

The daughter Olivia slept a room away from him to make his work easier. He reached for her, gently placing his infant daughter over his shoulder.

"Just a minute, sweetie." He said, walking in a circle around the room in search of her diaper in one of the wardrobes.

All thanks to Samantha, Natasha's younger sister who came every day in helping in the kids' laundry and the meals. Her helping hands made things a little easy for Nathaniel but the idea or her help doesn't sit well with him and his belief.

He could till remember Samantha's reaction at the news of her sister's death, she had left California to Arizona five years ago, upon the news of her sisters' death moved back to California. Her rage on him heightened at not receiving the news of her sister's accident. She still blamed him for not letting him see her breathing face for the last time until her death.

But her continuous help was sincerely appreciated, not that Nathaniel will openly say so, that will only boost her ego.

Settling down with Olivia on the swinger in his balcony, Nathaniel carefully placed the rubber nipple in her lips. The baby's tiny lips parted as she sucks hungrily.

His hands brushed the soft blond wisp of hair from her sweet face. Her resemblance to Natasha still haunts him every day.

He sat staring at nowhere as he gently swings on the swinger not wanting to startle the little child as she sucks the content in the bottle.