Chapter Fourteen

NATHANIEL FELT as through someone has carved out his inside

NATHANIEL FELT as through someone has carved out his inside. He felt empty-no, he corrected himself, it wasn't an emptiness he was experiencing, but he couldn't define the wide range of emotions that raged through him.

He abruptly dropped his arms, releasing Samantha. Wordlessly they stepped away from each other, not one word escaped their lips. He noted how swollen her lips were, how moist. Her beautiful, multifaceted eyes were wide and staring up at him.

Nathaniel wanted to tell her he was sorry, beg her forgiveness, but he couldn't make himself do it. She looked at him, unblinking, her features devoid of colour, totally pale.

Then, just when he was about to find the courage to talk to her, she edged her way past him and hurried down the hallway to her bedroom. The sound of her door closing echoed like a gunshot in the night.

Nathaniel thought to follow her, to explain, only he didn't know what he could say that would possibly excuse what he'd done. He waited a few minutes until he could control the trembling in his hands, and the turn off the lights and head down the hallway to his own room.

Outside Samantha's door he hesitated. Knotting his fist at his side, he silently berated himself for not knowing what to do. What to say. Or how to say it.

He'd known he was going to kiss her in plenty of time to stop himself, yet he hadn't. He'd given into the impulse, knowing fully well he'd be left to deal with the regrets later. None of that mattered at that time. He'd wanted to taste her. He'd needed to taste her.

He'd pulled her into his arms, meshing her body with his. Her nipples had pearled and flirted with his chest, adding to the pleasure.

Adding to the guilt.

Her right hand had moved up from his chest to caress his face. How warm her fingers had felt against the coolness of his skin. How smooth.

How right.

It was then that he'd deepened the kiss, using the tip of his tongue to part the seam of her lips, and when she'd given a small gasp-Nathaniel didn't know if it was from pleasure or surprise-he'd slipped his tongue forward to meet hers.