Chapter Twenty Two

DRAINED TO the point of being unable to think straight, or even containing himself proper

DRAINED TO the point of being unable to think straight, or even containing himself proper. Nathaniel walked down the dim hallway. The equilibrium procured made a whole lot of connotation.

The kid's room produced lull solace. All mitigation of bustling noise seized. A smile automatically plastered on Nathaniel's face. Even if it were a wrong timing, the validity of calmness. Made it all right.

Due to the deficient assignment, Nathaniel sauntered towards the short hallway, leading to his den.

Unknowingly to him, another awaited him, on his designated chair. The unexpected surprise Nathaniel got by the presence of Samantha, seated on his post, while piercing her golden-brown eyes, towards him.

Like she awaited his presence, for hours. He knew nothing good was certainly, coming from whatever this was heading.

The Samantha he knows never waits for anyone. And certainly not him-technically he wasn't her favorite person.

So why now?

"Clearly through your expression, you weren't expecting me in your territory?" Samantha countered, leaning backward on the chair headrest, whining the wheel around. "Where are you coming from?"

Nathaniel sigh, yanking on the tie, singing it in whatever direction. The event of the day, already getting to him. An unachieved waste of time event.

The refusal to help the dreading dilemma his family was passing through-or rather, was about passing through. Wasn't joining in anyway.

Plunging himself on the single sofa, Nathaniel rakes his fingers through his rumpled hair. The tired evening, getting to him. More than ever.

"Somewhere?" He grumbled to himself, not giving her a clear answer. "I'm sure you didn't come here to discuss that. Did we?"

"No, we didn't. There's more information, I never expected to get this close, but somehow I did." She confessed, tapping her fingers on the mahogany, oil painted desk.

Nathaniel's brow scowl, in total confusion. "What do you mean?" He sat-up. "Are you by any chance insinuating, otherwise concerning our marriage?"

"No, " Samantha's denial, brought a great sense of relief on Nathaniel. To know her thoughts weren't anywhere close to that, unraveled Nathaniel's sanity.