Chapter Four

NATHANIEL'S EYES snap open at the realization of his words

NATHANIEL'S EYES snap open at the realization of his words. The world seems to be spinning as an uncomfortable silence filled the room.

Clearing his throat Nathaniel sat up. "I'm sorry Sam. I-I just-"

Samantha shook her head ."It's nothing. I understand." She said in a small voice trying to conceal her hurt.

"No" He shifted sitting at the edge of the couch linking his fingers together with a disheartened expression on his face trying to show his regrets. "I didn't mean to. I-It kind of slipped off my lips."

"And like I said I totally understand." Nothing waiting for more discussion she left him there at the living room heading towards the kitchen to probably rinse the mugs and head to bed.

Nathaniel cursed under his breath repeatedly feeling the urge to knock something off. He felt like a fool, playing with both their emotions.

His blunt mouth just reminded both of them of what they both lost. A special gem that can never be brought back to their lives again.

Standing up from the couch Nathaniel step towards the fireside, rubbing his palm on the stubbles. A sigh escapes his lips-feeling dreadfully tired.

Nathaniel knows nowhere, to begin with. It felt like those times when he and Natasha drinks discussing the day's event and about the kids.

The familiar atmosphere gave him a sense of relief, but the instant the words left his lips-Nathaniel wished nothing more than to take it all back.

The hurt written on her face made it harder than he ever wished for Samantha to ever pass through. She's always been the well-reserved type, selfless, sacrificing herself for others.

Nathaniel groans hunching down, picking a wood tossing it into the fire then straightened upholding the top edge the concrete wall leaning his head between his outstretched arms.

The quite night keep Nathaniel thinking more, with the while household sleeping.

Each time Nathaniel tries forgetting and moving on from his wife's death-he finds himself right back to square one. Her death still hurt him mentally and physically.