Chapter Nineteen

SHUTTING THE door to his car Nathaniel's eyes squirm at the ray of the summer sun, touching his face

SHUTTING THE door to his car Nathaniel's eyes squirm at the ray of the summer sun, touching his face. The burning warmth caressed his skin. He could feel it walking up into his tee-shirt.

His gaze stopped at the old one-story house, the brick plastered, almost fading than the last time he'd seen it. The porch remained completely, eerily, silent.

Stretching his finger to the doorbell, he pressed hard, hearing the dinging sound coming from the other side.

Nathaniel had no idea why, but somehow he found himself waking up early this morning, feeling the raising urge to take a drive around town. But somehow he found himself right at the front porch of Joe's house. Feeling there was unfinished business with them.

After what felt like a minute, the clicking sound of the door bolt pulled unlock, revealed an older man with gray hair, covering his head.

Joe appeared dressed in his pajamas, with a reading glass laying on the center of his nose. The frowning expression on Joe's face, clarify the entire situation.

"Nathaniel Carter?" His fragile voice spoke out, reaching by his side to open the door wider for Nathaniel.

One he wasn't expecting.

"I'm sorry for the short notice. I myself had no idea why I came. Oddly I drove myself to find me pulling at your driveway." He spoke, letting himself in, while Joe shut the door behind him.

That fact was certainly right, there was something about the old man standing opposite, that kept drawing Nathaniel closer to seek the answer to that.

Maybe it was the brown eyes or the poor state of the man. Nathaniel had no idea why, but he hopes to find the answer to that, soon.

Joe unexpectedly chuckled. "Young men of these days lack lots of things. Including a sense of relaxation." He said, walking ahead of Nathaniel in the short hallway. "Come along, you never did have that coffee last time."

Nathaniel found himself smiling softly at Joe's word. How the man was able to read, still fascinates him. Perhaps he'd finally met his match.

Obliging to the old man's request, Nathaniel stride along with him, cornering at the right, which leads straight to the small kitchen.