Un

I gripped the double edged sword before lunging at my target, sweat dripping from my skin onto the polished gym floor. Glimmer squeaked, hurriedly dodging my jab. Her footing, however, was off balance, and as she clumsily tried to keep her feet rooted to the ground, she dropped her knife. The thrust from my weapon narrowly missed her, but a small drip of blood forms atop her skin, right on her arm, indicating that I had, indeed, hit my mark. Barely. My blonde friend hissed as the stinging pain coursed through her. I quickly turned away; the sight of the scarlet fluid caused my stomach to wretch in pain.

"Alright." The trainer says, just as I regained my posture. "That is enough for today. The big day is tomorrow, after all."

It wasn't Lapis today. My usual trainer and former Victor of the Games. Lately, it seemed as if he had been avoiding me. I should have gotten used to it by now to be honest, because every time we approached Reaping season, Glimmer's older brother would go out of his way to spend as little time with me as possible. But nonetheless, the change in coaching had been noticeable, and not in a good way.

Exhausted, both Glimmer and I nodded at the adult's words, relieved at finally catching a break. We've been at it, one on one, for the past 90 minutes, nonstop. At every cut or jab, we would quickly disinfect and bandage up our wounds.

"A woman's body must remain unmarred, unscarred and unharmed." A quote to remind us how to get sponsors if we ever were to be in the Games. Anything during, well that could get erased anyway.

I place the sword back on its stand as Glimmer comes up to me, a cotton dab pressed against her newly fresh cut. Despite the 2 years age gap between us, we were best friends. Her being my trainer's younger sister may have also been a reason.

"You're seriously scary good with that. Reckon you'll volunteer yet?"

I froze.

"No..." I sigh. "Skill means nothing when you don't have the courage."

Glimmer nodded solemnly, having understood where I was coming from. We take classes for the Games in the Academy. We were trained for fighting and defence, and yet, while I was top of the year in combat skills, I never had the same will, the same thirst for killing as the other tribute wannabes. It was one thing to swing around a sword without any lifetime consequences, it was another to take a life.

Glory? I wanted that. It was District pride to want it.

Fame? Sure, why not.

Blood on my hands? I was not ready. Not yet. Maybe never.

I couldn't even cut Glimmer without almost fainting. And that was with knowing I never could really hurt her, seeing as everything was simply training.

"Well, maybe next year!" She replied cheerfully, quickly changing the gloomy air that had risen before us.

I couldn't help myself but smile at her will to keep me happy. With how things were going, I highly doubt that I would ever volunteer.

I wanted to join the Games, and I wanted to win. But I couldn't. Not with how I was today, at least. I needed to get better, get stronger.

We both left the training room, eagerly rushing towards the showers for a quick rinse. The single, most relaxing thing I would have had all day is the comfort of cool water washing away my sweat and calming my sore muscles.

I dressed myself, leaving the locker room, only to be stopped by Glimmer, a towel hung around her body, hair still dripping in water.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Gen." She whispered in a soft voice.

We pride ourselves on our strength and riches here in District 1, but we still got anxious around the Reaping. I hug her back tightly, not minding her drenching my fresh, new clothes.

"I'll see you too."

And without looking back once, I walked away, towards a new day. A day I would come to dread very soon.

Rewritten: 31/08/2021 - France