Quatre

"Genevieve Ashwood!"

I felt the air leave my lungs. My thoughts were whirring. How did this happen? Why did this happen? No, I shouldn't let this affect me. Surely, someone else will volunteer. I looked at the group of 17 and 18 years old. I looked at Glimmer.

Not a single person was going to save me.

I was alone.

I plastered on a sweet, fake smile and started laughing. This was how you were supposed to act. You had to appear as if you were honored. And yet, I was slowly, and surely, crumbling inside.

"Go Gen!" I heard Glimmer in the crowd, as the sounds of whooping and cheering engulfed the area. I turned to face her, the plastic grin still stuck on my face. And Glimmer saw my eyes, and horror reflected in her own. But still, she did nothing, and the Peacekeepers dragged me up the stage to where the silly looking lady stood.

"Congratulations, dear!" Amethyst said with much enthusiasm, unlike the dismay I felt deep within.

"Thank you." I spoke softly.

"Oh, well you are such a beauty! Now to find the young man that'll be joining you."

I kept the loving smile glued on my face, knowing the cameras had yet to leave me.

"And the male tribute from District 1 is: Marvel Acterius!"

A cheer was heard from the distant, and a tall, light brown haired, green eyed boy hurried onto the stage, racing past the Peacekeepers. He was met with multiple high fives and pats on the backs, until he finally made his way up the stage.

"My, my, District 1 has such a beautiful pair this year. Well, congratulations again, my dears! Do shake hands! And may the odds be ever in your favor."

I turned to Marvel. A goofy grin was present on his face, but his eyes said all. They were the same color as Glimmer's, yet they were still so different. Glimmer's was like a spring garden, and his was more cool and calculative, like a snake.

So we shook hands.

He was ready.

I was not.