Vingt

"This is great." Cashmere smiled. "The alliance is taking place. Brutus just asked me about you."

"That's reassuring." I sighed, flopping down onto my bed, my wet hair still in a towel.

"Yes, it is. Turns out the boy's interested in you. You can spin it in your favor. Seduce him and all." She sat down beside me, toying with a strand of damp hair. "You know there's button to dry those? One touch and BOOM, done. You'll catch a cold if you leave them like that."

"Then let me." I groaned. "I don't want Cato's interest anyway, he makes me feel funny."

There was a shift on the mattress, and Cashmere's face appeared mere inches from mine.

"Butterflies?" She asked.

"What?"

"Do you feel butterflies around him? Like your stomach is about to explode. Your mind feels fuzzy, and you can't think straight."

"Maybe? I don't really know what you're talking about here. My face feels hot whenever he says some dumb remark. Why?"

"Gen this is important! You can't let him get to you like that!"

"Like what? You're not making any sense!"

"Because you're attracted to him!"

Silence.

"What gave you that impression?" I gaped.

"Your red cheeks. My god you're like a little baby lamb that doesn't know how to walk yet."

"I do not like him! He infuriates me, and all he does is make fun of me."

"Typical." She then lies down next to me. "That's a way of flirting. He's hunting you. Marking you. You're just a cute little piece of meat, ready for the taking."

"That's disgusting, I don't like that!"

"Your body says otherwise. You get all flustered and blushy talking about this. The heart does some weird stuff, I know. You don't think you like it, but you do." A pause. "Gen, you know this is a game, right? You'll have to kill him at some point."

"I know that." I bit my lip. "Marvel too. And Clove."

"Right, so you can't afford having deep rooted connections with any of these people. Although, that's a little too late now, isn't it?"

"They're my friends. We go in this together." I shook my head. "I'll never see any of them again, will I?

"I know." Her hand grasps mind, and she intertwines our fingers. "But that's not even the worst part. Sure, you may die. But winning..."

"I'll have to live with the guilt?" I gulped.

"Not only that." She moves onto her side, her green eyes, the same as Glimmer's, glossed over in pain. Just like Lapis had when he first started training me. "You'll have to pay back your Sponsors."

"What? With my earnings? Don't they make enough money already?"

"No." She places a palm above my chest. "Cato likes you for a reason. So does the Capitol." She moves it to touch my cheek. "You're a beauty. Almost unmatched."

"They want me as payment." I concluded, yanking my hand out of her hold. "That's what happened to you. And that's what happened to Gloss, isn't it?"

"And it'll happen to you, should you win."

I sucked in a short breath, before turning around and getting off the bed. "Where are Marvel and Gloss?"

"Marvel's in his room doing whatever, and Gloss is with Enobaria discussing plans."

"I have to tell Marvel."

"Gen, please calm down."

"Why doesn't anybody know of this? You're selling your body!"

"We had no choice! He threatened us, Gen. And he'll do the same with you."

"Who?"

"I've said too much." She stood up, and cast me one last glance before leaving my room. "Goodnight."

Another chapter for you guys. Why some of y'all are still reading, I don't know, but I appreciate it :)
Don't forget to vote, comment of you'd like. Again, sorry if I rarely respond, I just don't know how to respond 80% of the time, so I just don't.
I'm on holiday for now, so expect a few more chapters soon.

~EmiJinx