Six

"Genevieve, was it?"

I whipped my head around, once again coming face to face with Marvel. We were on our way to the Capitol now, and my mind had been wondering to the beautiful decor of the train's interior.

"Yeah." I let out a short, nervous laugh. "But please don't call me that, only my parents do so when they're mad at me. Call me Gen."

Marvel took my hand and grinned, shaking it eagerly. "Marvel."

His eyes peer down to where I'm seated, taking in my form. A wave of uneasiness washes over me.

"Nice dress. It looks like something one of my classmates would wear..."

"Glimmer." I say, immediately knowing he was talking about my best friend. That makes him 17 then.

He snorts. "Glittery Glimmer gave you that outfit? Of course she did, with all that glitter."

As much as I want to get mad at him for somewhat insulting my friend, a let out a laugh too.

"Yeah, Glim sure loves the sparkles. She gets to experiment on me too."

"Glad you let her, 'cause you look good. Despite all the glitter, of course."

I am a bit flattered, but I was not a fan of the way his eyes were wandering along my body.

The mechanical door slides open and in walked in our two mentors.

"Well here they are, District 1's new Tributes." Gloss smirked, making his way to where we were seated. Following his loud footsteps was Cashmere's light, dainty ones.

They both scanned us up and down, and nodded.

"Well," Cashmere started, "what can you do?" She looked pointedly at me.

"I'm pretty confident with swords." I reply shortly. I excelled in technique. Power wise, decent enough. I hoped.

Marvel nods, deciding to help me out. "I've seen her train. She's the best girl in combat.
Managed to beat some guys in my year too."

That makes the female mentor's face split into a grin. "Perfect. A lethal beauty."

Not so lethal when all I want to do is cry when I see blood. I was not going to tell her that, though.

Only Glimmer's older brother, Lapis, who was my personal trainer in the Academy, and of course Glimmer herself, knew of my fear. It was mostly kept a secret, and a well hidden one at that thanks to all the padding and armor we go through when training. I had never brought it up with my mom and dad.

"And you?" Gloss cocked an eyebrow at Marvel. I studied my partner's arms. They were well built, and had fine definition, surely from working out. He wasn't as buff as others I had seen back in 1, but it was definitely enough to snap my neck in half.

"Spears." The 17 year old flashed a winning smile at the winner of the 62nd Hunger Games.

"Good, seems like we have a good batch this year. Might win against 2."

The mechanical door slid open again, and Amethyst skipped in, chirpy as ever.

"Oh! You've already met! Sorry I'm late, I just had to make sure your closets were filled with the best clothes for when you make it in the Capitol."

They already thought of everything, didn't they?

"That's great." I answer with a polite smile. "Always have to look good for the Capitol."

There was a small bite behind my words that did not go unnoticed by everyone. Well, everyone BUT Amethyst.

"Exactly! Ohhh, do go take a shower and try on these clothes! That dress is beautiful, darling, but it is nothing compared to what I have in store!"

Great. Dress up time.

A/N: So far I'm having so much fun writing this. Thank you for reading and please feel free to vote and comment!