Trente

Clove was intimidating, to say the least. Or at least she was trying to be. The rosy blush and orange dress that her stylist had put her in played on her youth, and at certain points she really just seemed like a sadistic child. Marvel was by my side trying his best not to laugh, and I had to elbow him in the ribs to quieten him down.

After a few more death threats (and an added bonus of arrogant confidence from her part), Clove finally left the stage, bunching up the fabric at her legs in fear of tripping in her heels.

"I want to murder Flavio." She muttered angrily as she made her way up to us. "Stupid dress keeps riding up my a-"

I tuned her out as I watched Cato make his way up stage. He was waving, sporting the very same smirk which used to infuriate me. He kept up with his appearances as he sat down and crossed his leg, seemingly comfortable as Caesar struck up conversation.

"Cato! Now I hear that the odds are currently in your favor. Care to comment on that?"

"Well, I'm not too surprised. I've been waiting for this moment for a long time." The blond boy turned to the crowd. "It's the Hunger Games! Come on!"

The audience cheered along and hooted, and I could hear Clove scoff to my left.

Caesar was laughing along. "I love that! The enthusiasm! Just what we want!" He paused for a moment. "But the Capitol is curious too. Cato, you are an attractive young man. Got anyone special? I'm sure the ladies would love to know. Don't you?" He addressed the hundreds of Capitolites watching.

A few women yelled yes, and some swooned. I did my best to control an eye roll.

"Well, Caesar, back in my District there isn't anyone, no." He grinned. "But I have been getting to know someone once I got here. I can't say much as to where we stand, but there has been some progress."

The crowd oohed and aahed. They really were sucking it up.

"Are there any hints that you could give us?" The interviewer inquired, a glint in his eyes

"That's not fun now is it? We'll save it for the Games, make sure you enjoy it fully." Cato winked, but I could tell from his posture that he really wasn't all that keen on showing our relationship on screen. That somewhat reassured me. It seemed that our feelings were indeed real.

Caesar faked a sigh. "This year's Tributes sure love to tease us, don't they folks?" And a number of people voiced their agreement. "But we will see some more, won't we?" He pushed on.

"I can't say much." Cato replied. "There might be something, but maybe it's just a fleeting emotion. Who knows? We'll have the time to figure it out in the arena."

"And that we will!" Caesar agreed. "I have one last question for you. What would you plan on doing if you and your... lover let's say, were the last two standing?"

Cato seemed to pale, and I too blanched. It was something Cashmere had warned me about, me getting too attached until the time I had to inevitably kill him. My heart caught in my throat, and I could feel Clove glance at me, in what felt like worry.

"I came here to win the Games." He started, and my stomach dropped. "That's a trick question actually. I don't really know." The conflicted look on his face told me everything. "I'll see it to my best ability that we both make it to the final. Maybe then I'd have an answer for you."

The two then exchanged pleasantries before Cato was made to leave the stage.

And whilst it reassured me, to a certain degree, that I wasn't being played, it made me worry for him too. Brutus' face seemed to harden in poorly hidden fury as his Tribute made his way towards him.

Clove's hand wrapped around mine. "He's going to get in trouble for that." She whispered. "He was supposed to go for the win."

My heart lurched.

Maybe he did really like me. But at what cost?

Surprisingly I'm still alive. No I did not die of heatstroke, but I did have a lot going on for me (college applications, tests, etc). I can't tell when's the next time I'll update, but I'll try to do it consistently.

As always, thanks again for reading, and make sure to stay safe!

~EmiJinx