Vingt Cinq

"District 1, Marvel Acterius."

Marvel sends me a confident grin as the Gamemakers call his name. I stiffen, suddenly nervous. I had no doubt in my talents and abilities, but just one mistake would mean a low score, and a low score means lack of sponsors. And well, that certainly means death; for in the end this is just entertainment for the Capitol.

My district partner gets out of his seat and makes his way to the training room. My only sense of comfort...gone. The reality of my situation finally settled in. His jokes, though annoying, was the only thing keeping my breaths steady. Now that he was gone I rode a train of anxious thoughts.

As if sensing my distress, which I did my best to hide under a stoic face, Cato, who was sitting on my left, discreetly pat my arm in what I could only assume to be a calming gesture. I brushed my hand against his own arm and smiled in thanks, to which he simply nodded. His usual smirk wasn't on today, as his face was frozen solid in concentration. It was an unusual expression for him, but it suit him as much as it worried me. We stared at each other for another few seconds, before I finally pulled my gaze away.

Looking ahead, towards a wall, I started to lightly tap my feet on the floor. What must have been several minutes seemed to pass like hours, years even.

And just as I was about to burst into jitters:

"District 1, Genevieve Ashwood."

i slowly got out of my seat, turning to both Cato and Clove, who's eyes were on me already, and sent them both an unconvincing enthusiastic thumbs up, to which the latter mimicked, amused.

I followed the Peacekeepers as they led me to a door, and out walked Marvel, relief painted on his face. He pats my shoulder as he walked past me, allowing me to go in.

I walked forward, as confidently as I could. All eyes were on me. Ahead of me laid a slick, silver sword. Looking at it from a distance, it appeared that the handle would fit quite perfectly into my palm.

"District 1, Genevieve Ashwood." I announce, eyes locked with the Head Gamemaker, Seneca Cane. He gives me an unnerving smile, and nods.

I made my way to the sword and picked it up, weighing it in my hand. Perfect.

Taking a few steps back from the weapons display, I faced the Gamemakers and started to spin the sword in my right hand, then flipped it into my other one.

It was just like I was back in 1. I danced with the long metal blade, gracefully. Each swing made a slight, zooming sound, swishing past my ponytail. I got more comfortable, and started to incorporate some of my gymnastics training, backflipping and landing blows on an imaginary figures.

After another flip, my eyes landed on a target post. I inhaled deeply, picturing the hands that had been on my hips, drawing me close and setting me in the right position. I relaxed my rigid posture, and extended my arm forward, throwing my sword directly into the bullseye as I exhaled. The end of the sword stuck in the red circle with deadly accuracy. It was the first time it hit the center.

I allowed a small smile to bloom on my face as excited murmurs and whispers rung around the room.

"Thank you, Ms Ashwood." Seneca Cane's voice called from above. "We'll look forward to seeing you soon."

The look in his eyes appeared appeased, impressed, and another unnerving sentiment creeped up his lips that made my skin crawl.

Keeping my composure, I smiled sweetly.

"I won't disappoint you."

The Peacekeepers escorted me out. Once the doors opened, Cato stood behind them. His eyes were glazed over with killer intent, and I lightly flinched in fear, only for his blue orbs to soften as they stared back down into my brown ones. I gently brush my hand against his as I walked past him.

I may just survive this.

Alright! New chapter up. Thank you so much @Alicia152615 for the help, I really appreciate it.
I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter, if so don't forget to vote!