Quinze

As it turns out, I will be coached by Cashmere, and Marvel by Gloss, seeing as our personalities were compatible. None of them technically specialized in sword fighting, but they were decent. That, and Gloss actual excelled with a spear, so it was ideal for him to give Marvel some new pointers and tips. Cashmere was just asking me to be charming and flirty, which in my opinion was much better suited for Glimmer, but I guess I'd have to try.

"Intimidate the other Tributes. Show off, scare them, make an alliance. And most of all, have fun."

After eating our breakfast, and Marvel messing around some more, we made our way down to the Training Centre. We weren't the first to arrive, seeing as the Tributes from 4, 5, 7 and 8 were already walking around and anxiously observing the stations.

Marvel scoffed when the girl from 8's eyes trailed towards the spears across the room, aligned neatly.

"As if a scrawny little thing like her could even lift it." He muttered bitterly.

I poked his arm and raised an eyebrow. "Says lanky arms." I flashed him a small grin.

He swung his arm around my shoulder and held me in a mock headlock, allowing me to feel his muscles, and proceeded to ruffle my hair.

"If we're talking about skinny, you take the cake, Gen." He laughed. "Still, these 'lanky arms', as you call them, could still easily wring around that brat's neck. Just a little snap..."

I pushed him off me and huffed, slightly, disturbed for two reasons: did he not know how annoying messy hair was when in a ponytail? That, and he talked about killing as if it was an easy feat.

I let my hair hang loose before twisting it back up, shooting him a glare, that he must have thought was fake, as he kept on laughing.

The present Tributes were looking at us as if we were aliens, no doubt wondering how we could be so "cheerful" before entering the Games. But that's just Marvel: he makes everything look easy and fun, even if that wasn't the case.

I started getting closer to him since the Reaping, and I did consider him a friend, but there were times when he did scare me. He was the perfect embodiment of an academy specimen, no doubt thirsting for blood.

Slowly, the Centre started to fill with more and more Tributes. Until only four were missing: the pair from 2 and 12. Marvel and I had made our way to the female Tribute from 4, Marina, who had abandoned her partner somewhere along the line. Marvel joked around with her, as she giggled and I sometimes chimed in. It wasn't a fun, especially with the way she kept on making fun of Tua, her own District partner.

As if on cue, Cato and Clove came in, and made a beeline towards us, knowing that our alliance was taking shape.

"Hey Gen, Martin and 4." Cato greeted us.

"It's Marvel." My partner rolled his eyes. "And glad to see you could make it, 2."

"Well," Clove shot him a sneer, "we wanted to be the show stoppers. Last to arrive definitely leaves an impression. Makes us look as if we don't even need this training."

"I wouldn't stick to that." I smiled sheepishly. "That tactic has already been thrown out the window, 12's last." I pointed to the pair that had just arrived.

Cato groaned. "Those two are going to ruin everything for me."

"I want the girl." Marina hissed.

"We all want the girl." Clove stressed. "And it doesn't matter, because she's mine."

"Whatever." Cato cast a nasty glance in 12's direction. "As long as you give us a good show."

"Oh, I'm sure Clove's already on it." I muttered.

Sure enough, Clove heard me, and grinned. "You're right about that, Gen. I knew I liked you for a reason."

"That's good. Wouldn't want to be on your bad side." I retorted with a grin of my own.

"Does that mean we're on your good side?" Cato asked me.

"Clove is. I'm not sure about you though, big boy." I smiled sweetly.

He leaned in closer to my ear. "Oh come on now, Nini, that's no fair."

My breath hitched, and my smile immediately fell off. Luckily, Marvel pulled me away from the towering blond.

"You're definitely not gonna get on her good side if you prevent her from hearing the Head Trainer's advice."

And thus training begun.