Huit

"You ready, Gen?"

I looked up to see Lapis. My 12 year old stature barely even reached his chest. His wavy, blond hair fell into his pained green eyes. The winner of the 66th Hunger Games was going to be my own personalized teacher.

This was how training worked: once you show promise, they enter you into the Academy, starting as early as the age of 8. From then on, previous Victors of the Games tested you, and made sure you were ready for the Games, and once you turned 18 you could volunteer. Training was meant to be illegal, but the Capitol didn't do much to enforce this rule on us Career Districts. So District 1, 2 and 4 all had Academies.

I got entered into the Academy at the age of 10. I was the fastest and most flexible in my age group. I got picked, along 3 other girls and 4 boys. For the next 2 year, I had practiced all weapons, to find the one that suited my style of fighting best. I felt most at home with a lightweight sword, and only one Victor had fully mastered it: Lapis Calloway. It was the most effective with my agile style. Other Victors specialized in other weapons, like Gloss and Cashmere Pristine, who excelled in knife throwing.

"I hope you don't mind, I brought my sister so that you could do some one on one training."

Behind him stood a beautiful girl. She had the same hair and eyes as Lapis, only her's were livelier. She was much taller than me, and probably even older.

"Hi!" She lunged forward, grasping my hand into her's and shaking it vigorously. "I'm Glimmer! Ooh Lapis told me all about you. Like, you're 12 and super good at sword fighting? Wow! I wish I was good, but nah I'm 14 and all I know is that I have to stick them with the pointy end." She gestured the the layouts of knives and swords hanging on the training room's walls.

I was too shocked to actually form words from my mouth, so I just simply nodded. I nervously glanced at Lapis, amusement clear on his face. The sad sheen is his eyes had soften to one of love. He truly treasured his sister.

He peeled the bouncing blonde off of me. "That's enough, Glim. We're here to practice, not to scare away a little girl."

At that I pouted. "I'm not little..."

Glimmer let out at tinkering laugh. "I'm not the one scaring her off. You are going to, though, if you keep on insulting her."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. Now girls, go get your weapons and get into position."

And so we did. And we fought. We slashed and dodged, my sword against her knife. The first to cut the other wins. I had never full on trained on another person. This was Lapis' way to evaluate my improvement.

My sword sliced through Glimmer's leg, knocking her down. The crimson liquid pooled out of the limb, and I froze.

Behind me, Lapis started clapping. "Not bad."

But seeing that I haven't moved, he sensed that something was wrong.

"Gen... Gen?!"

The blood from my sword started to drip onto the floor. My hands shook. Blood. A source of life, and also a sign of death.

My body felt weaker, and my vision faltered.

The scene shifted. On top of me was that girl from District 12; Katniss. A knife at my throat, moving downwards, ready to plunge into my jugular

I gasped. Sweat coated my entire body. I was going to die. Unless I got over my fear of blood.