Cinq

"Y-you'll be fine. You're top of your year, Gen. Heck, you're the strongest girl in the Academy. You can totally win!"

Glimmer rambled on, trying to reassure me. But I was numb.

"...Gen... GEN!" She yelled, bringing me out of my stupor.

"Sorry Glim, I'm just- I can't-" I choked on my own, imaginary tears. I was too shocked to actually cry.

I was pulled back into a tight hug from my dad.

"Breathe, Genevieve. You will win. You trained for this. This year's Victor is you."

My mom joined in the hug, and so did Glimmer.

The hug was anything but comforting. All I had to do before was fear death. Now, I also had to make sure I lived up to their expectations. Literally live.

"Yes. Okay." Was all I could say, until the Peacekeepers came to take me away.

My mom kissed my cheeks, then my dad kissed my forehead. Glimmer hugged me tight, not wanting to let go, and slipped something cool into my hands.

"A token." She said.

It was a ring. I knew this ring, because it was the one I had gifted her last year when she said she was going to volunteer. Someone else had managed before she could have. The ring would open and a needle dipped in the most fatal of all poisons would pop out.

"Thank you. All of you." I managed a brave face and smiled. "Goodbye."

And I left them. It was probably the last time I'll ever see them again.

But I followed the Peacekeepers. This was my fate now.

I was a Tribute for the 74th Hunger Games. And my one goal from now on, was to live.

Even if I had a fear of blood.