Chapter 12

I stared down at them all. How scary, it feels as though they're looking judging me. We walked down the stairs together. "Father, I hope you aren't expecting me to be a good dancer," I said to him as we neared the end of the stairs. He laughed, "I never expected anything of the sort to begin with, I even have pads under my shoes to reduce the pain."

     I was shocked. "Then why-" I started. He smiled fondly, "What father doesn't want to spend more time with their daughter?"

      I stared at him blankly. My father didn't. My father on Earth didn't. How can a father be so warm? My father barely ever spoke to me. Madeleine has a really loving father... He's kinder than anyone I know. My cheeks felt warm, I wish I had met you sooner.

      Maybe, I can understand Lidia a bit. This type of father was wasted on Madeleine.

Everyone kept staring as we finally reached the end of the stairs. "Welcome to my ball. I am exceptionally happy everyone gathered here today. Please enjoy." He said with a smile. The guests kept staring at me. Am I that interesting, I feel flattered. As the music started, Father let out his hand and I took it.

The first dance started.

Of course, I was bad at it. I didn't know which way we were moving and I constantly stepped on father's foot. He must feel lots of pain today. I'm sorry....

Our dance ended and the ball went on. I spotted a tall man with shining white hair, almost like the snow. What a color. He's dressed in very elegant clothes, looks like a prince. I wonder...

"Hello there, Princess?" A voice called to me, bowing. How interesting. I smiled. Its the prince-like boy with Snow White hair. "Yes? Is there something you need?" I asked smiling.

"Princess, I am the crown prince from Terraine kingdom." He said. I flinched. Terraine? This is.... "I humbly ask you to dance with me." He asked handing out his hand. Is this why August decided not to come to the ball? Because of him? I looked around, I found many light haired royals. Of course the Florente Empire is the country with the most dark haired people, but I know those eyes. Why didn't I notice?

Five people with red eyes, and light colored hair. They're the Terraine empire. "It would be a pleasure to accept." I replied, taking his hand. He smiled. He was handsome, what was the crown prince in Terraine's name? "Prince Edward, correct?" I asked as we danced. He looked happy, "Yes...I'm overjoyed you know my name, Princess Madeleine!"

His smile is so bright I think I might die. Ahh I'm blinding. The dance ended soon after. I have some questions for him, but I feel it wouldn't be appropriate to just randomly bring it up. Well, Mikoto Adachi always said, "Just be blunt about it and deal with the consequences afterwards hahahaha." So, since I look up to her I will happily abide by it. "Do you know who Augustine is?" I asked. He looked surprised. "Oh, my little brother?" He asked brightly.

    You dare still call him, 'Little Brother' after what he suffered? How impertinent. Edward then said, "Do you know him? Oh, I'm so dumb. Of course you do."

    "Is he doing alright?"He asked looking down. "Why do you care? I know his family never really cared about him." I replied. He smiled sadly, "Well, I was never around. I didn't realize sooner-I wish I did. I wish I didn't travel around so much. I didn't even realize that father sold him off to the Florente empire."

    "...." I went silent. "I know my father was a horrible man towards my brother, but I can't hate him for what he did. I know he was horrible, but he raised me with so much love and happiness. He's still my father even if he did bad things... But I always had that figure of Augustine sadly standing as he was sold off in my mind. Maybe that's why I came here. I was hoping to see him." He ranted, "You know, he hurt my sister? It was an accident, but everyone dramatized it. That's why my sister is here too, and some my brothers came too..."

    "Yes, I've noticed." I said. "In my travels, I've heard about you, Princess." Edward said. "You have?" I asked. "Yes, about the genius princess in the Florente Empire." He chuckled. My, so people outside Florente know about me. Well, I expected this.

    I stared up at him. He was tall, Augustine is the 3rd youngest in his family and the same age as me. I wonder how old this guy is. "If I may ask, How old are you. Princess?" He asked. I stared at him blankly. "13. 2 months on 14." I replied. He looked shocked.

    "Hm? What's wrong?" I asked, confused. "Oh, I'm sorry. It's just I thought you were older since you were so mature." He replied. "Yes, I've been told I'm very precocious." I said sighing with a smile. Actually when I died, I was only 12. So, now, I'm really growing up in actuality. I smiled at the thought. It feels like I'm continuing my life.

"How old are you?" I asked him. "Oh! I'm 19." He said. Ahhh, what an older brother type.

The ball ended.

"Yo, Leine. How was it?" August asked reading a book as I came into his room without knocking. "August. I saw your brother." I casually said jumping on his bed. I took my shoes off already. "Oh yeah.." he said quietly, he looked away.

"......" I won't question you then. 

"You know August, I danced with father." I said. "I know." He replied. I smirked. "Wanna dance with me?"

He looked confused. "What? Here?" He asked.

"Yeah, your room is as big as a normal ballroom anyway," I said. "But wh-," he started. I promptly interrupted, "Lets go then."

       I grabbed his hand and stood him up. He left his book on the floor. He sighed, "fine.." That's a good answer!

     We twirled around, "you should've practiced dancing at least." He said. I chuckled. "I was busy?" I said. "Doing what? You don't ever have homework, because you finish it in class, and no one expects you to do anything here." He said.

     "I'm busy everyday living, aren't I?" I asked nonchalantly. He looked at me with judgment. Oh my, that stare is scary.

I laughed.