B

Sometimes life doesn't go as expected. This will vary along a spectrum. One might lose their job, a relationship might not pan out the way they wanted, they could get involved in a serious accident that leaves behind scars, both mentally and/or physically. It can even be as extreme as death, whether it be intentional, accidental, or the result of a lifelong illness.

Some people are lucky enough to have friends or family beside them to support them through the hard times. The rest are less fortunate and must face the cruelty and unfairness on their own. There are some who might be alone and yet they manage to find solace, whether it be through a person or something else--an object, a hobby, an addiction. On the other hand, they could be surrounded by people who wish to support them but they build up a barrier and shut everyone out, refusing help from those who love and care for them.

There are two roles here to be played: the victim and the aid. In some cases, these parts are set for life, with one person always being chosen as the victim while the other always the aid. In other cases, one might play both parts, either starting out as a victim and becoming an aid or vice versa. For a select few, they are lucky enough to grow out of their role, becoming free. Whether one is a victim or an aid, the result is still the same--they are relieved. For a victim, it means no more suffering, no more pain, no more heartache. For the aid, it means no more pressure. The weight of responsibility has been lifted and they no longer have to keep fearing for their victim.

The path to becoming free depends on the person. It may be a few months or years. It could take several years, maybe even decades. The most unfortunate ones become free right before their time in this world is up. The process can involve pain, which also varies from person to person. In some cases, it might be minimal whereas for others it will be far worse, perhaps more than what's considered manageable. However, once one breaks out of the chains tying them to their role the result is the same.

Who are you in this life?