U

Monday's are very bad. I've come to accept that. Although this will only be the third one I've ever experienced, I'm already prepared for my master to return from work in a morose state. It's not like last week was particularly bad, especially not when compared to the one before that, but his mood is significantly worse on this cursed day. He even warned me in advance last night, telling me I should be prepared to deal with a fuming version of himself once he comes home and, if not that, then to at least be ready to hear a rant. Not that I was expecting any less--I was already aware of his hatred for this day. He had mentioned it in a past conversation, Monday being the worst day of the week for him, that is.

When the door opens, indicating his arrival, I'm adding the last few touches to our dinner: steak and kidney pie with a side of mashed potatoes. There is no slamming of the door which is quite reassuring for me. Perhaps his day wasn't as bad.

"You came home just in time for dinner. I was just finishing up," I tell him.

The brunette rounds the corner and I'm just able to stifle the gasp of surprise that threatens to escape me when I see his expression. His eyes look sunken in inside his sockets, dark rings around his eyes creating such an illusion. They're void of any emotion, giving him a tired look. His lips are turned down at the corners just slightly more than what is natural. Honest to God, it looks like he's ready to drop dead.

"Jesus, what happened to you?" I ask softly, concern bubbling inside of me.

He slowly trails his gaze over to the food I have set out on the stove before eventually meeting my gaze. "Hey, did you know this complex has a balcony?"

I'm stumped for a few seconds, not expecting the queer question. "No..?"

"Well, there is. On the seventh floor and it's open for use by all the residents. What do you say we go down there and sit outside for a bit?" I can tell there's a reason why he wants to go there. Most likely it has to do with his day--maybe he needs to breathe in some fresh air and clear his mind. So I tell him that I don't mind but voice my concern about the dinner that will no doubt be cold by the time we return. "Microwaves are marvellous inventions, aren't they?"

So, after quickly grabbing a bottle of wine, Taehyung leads me out of the apartment and to the elevator. Our journey to the seventh floor is silent, both in the elevator and when we're walking down the halls. Eventually we're in front of glass doors leading to the large balcony he mentioned. I can't help that my eyes drift over to a sign boldly prohibiting alcohol or drugs from being in the area, but I don't have the heart to say anything to the brunette about it. He'd probably tell me to mind my own business anyway, most likely with more swear words thrown in, though.

Outside there are multiple lounging chairs and a few tables. Bypassing everything, Taehyung walks right up to the ledge, leaning against the railing and already getting to work on the bottle.

"Very nice, huh?" he rhetorically asks, taking a swig from the bottle.

"Taehyung...why did you bring me out here?"

"If you don't want to be out here--"

"That's not what I mean." I shift so that my right arm is resting against the railing while my body is facing the man. "Doing something like this is so...out of the ordinary. Are you okay? Did something happen at work? You don't need to give me specifics but I just want to make sure everything's alright."

A few beats of silence pass between us before Taehyung is finally releasing a defeated sigh. "It started off like any other shitty Monday. People coming in late, me getting yelled at because of it, piles of work that needed to be done. All that jazz, y'know?" Another sip from the bottle. "And then my father came in."