(Captain Rex X Reader) How Am I Supposed To Feel?

For Redstorm867

"Output to Fulcrum! Do you copy?"

There was no response. Why wasn't she paying attention to her commlink?

"Fulcrum!"

The approaching footfalls of Imperial Stormtroopers grew louder with each passing second. 

"FULCRUM!"

At last the crackling on the other side of the comm channel echoed through (Y/N)'s ears, shortly followed by the familiar voice of Ahsoka Tano. "I hear you- I had to lead some troopers away from the ship. What's your status?"

As (Y/N) raced through the loading dock, blaster fire began resounding through the air. (Y/N) dodged, barely stopping herself from crashing into a nearby crate, as bolts bounced off of the walls in every direction. For once in her life she wished that the Stormtroopers had better aim- it would be easier to deflect the shots if she knew where they were coming from. 

Ahsoka's voice filled emitted from the comm once again, "...nevermind. How close are you to the rendezvous?"

(Y/N) gasped as a bolt narrowly missed her shoulder. "Get the ship fired up! We're going to have to make a run for it!"

(Y/N) ducked behind a particularly battered crate just as she heard the unmistakable sound of her freighter taking off. She looked over her shoulder and saw the ship steadily rising, now just barely over a meter above the ground. If she wanted an easy escape, now was the time to make a mad dash for the ramp that Ahsoka had purposefully left down in order for (Y/N) to board.

Gathering up the last of her courage, (Y/N) propelled herself towards the ship using the force, almost missing the edge of the ramp as she landed. She wobbled precariously for a moment before balancing herself and running up the remainder of the slope, leaving a now much larger battalion of Stormtroopers firing in their wake as they fled the Imperial base.

. . .

"We'll be arriving at the outpost soon," Ahsoka commented as she returned to her seat in the cockpit. Shortly after they had jumped into hyperspace, Ahsoka had relinquished her control of the pilot's seat to (Y/N), who had found herself staring out into tunnel that the ship sped through faster than the speed of light. 

"Hey," Ahsoka began softly, lightly placing her hand on (Y/N)'s shoulder. "We got what we were after- everything's okay now."

(Y/N) sighed. "I know, I had just hoped that when I hacked into the Imperial database-"

"(Y/N), we'll find him. One way or another, I promise that we'll get him back someday."

(Y/N) turned to meet her oldest friend's gaze. She wanted to believe her, but everyday she doubted more and more that promise that she had made countless times before. With every passing second she lost faith that he was even alive- how could he be? Surely he had been hunted down and killed for his mutiny against the former Supreme Chancellor of the Republic.

"Do you remember how you and I met?" (Y/N) asked slowly. Ahsoka nodded.

"You and your padawan joined my master and I to take down a Separatist base. Why do you ask?"

(Y/N) smiled in spite of herself. "That was also how I met him." She paused for a moment before bursting out with laughter. Ahsoka watched her in confusion, as only a few seconds ago (Y/N) had looked as though she was restraining tears. 

"Do you remember the first thing I said to him?" (Y/N) finally asked as she caught her breath. Ahsoka, now understanding, couldn't contain her own laughter.