Confronting...

When Harry woke up the next morning it took a few moments for him to remember why he was laying in a bed and not the forest floor. When he remembered, he couldn't stop the insane sounding cackle that escaped him. Either he had completely lost his mind, or last night actually happened.

There was one way to be certain, not that he didn't not want it, but just that small reassurance that would make a huge difference. But he didn't know how to call Death...

"Hello, Harry" Death spoke.

Harry jumped a little, pulling his wand out, ready to defend himself. Once he realized it was Death, he put the wand down.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you," Death apologizes, with a little bit of amusement in his eyes, "Do you need something?" Death adds.

"I just needed to be sure..." Harry says sort of sheepishly. "I don't know what to do, I know what I want, but I don't know how to achieve it. Where do I start? What if I fail? What if the world is destroyed again?" Harry says, starting to ramble.

"Then it is." Death replied calmly, breaking Harry from his spiraling thoughts. "The only thing that made me angry about the last world's destruction had been how much it caused you pain, that you had suffered. The death of a planet does not matter to me. If you destroy this planet we will just move on to the next one. You are no longer mortal, Harry, you are still a wizard, a human, but you are no longer mortal. For beings like us, the death of one planet is something quite insignificant," Death says.

Harry nodded. Death had told him that he would outlive everyone and everything, he couldn't afford to let a single death affect him. Sooner or later it would drive him crazy, well crazier.

Harry looks at Death, "Thanks. I guess I just needed that push to accept everything. I know you told me yesterday, but I think the shock kept me from actually understand it," Harry admits.

"It is completely understandable, my son," Death assured Harry. "So, what are you going to do first?" Death asks, a small smile on his lips.

"Speaking with Voldie is the first on my list," Harry replied instantly.

"Do you have to?" Death complained, Harry chuckled a little when he saw Death's expression.

"I thought you would have liked him, after all the destruction, death and chaos he caused," Harry asks.

"I do, I would have liked him better if he stayed away from you though," Death replied.

It was there that it finally dawned on Harry that Death was a caring father, that just is not something you picture an immortal being as. "Thank you," Harry says.

"For what?" Death asks, looking a little confused and intrigued. 

"Everything," Harry states.

Death's eyes filled with so many different emotions that Harry's breath hitched. Slowly, Death raised his hand to Harry, giving Harry time to pull away. When Harry didn't, Death caressed Harry's cheek and smiled at him.

"Anything for my son," Death replies.

Harry's heart jumped for joy, he had waited a lifetime to hear those words be said to him, he was happy he would have an eternity to enjoy them.

They broke apart as they heard someone walking towards the room. "Call if you need anything," Death says, and vanished as Hermione enters the room.

Hermione looks upset with a few pieces of toast in her hands.

"Morning, Hermione," he greeted her. Her annoyance vanished as she saw him in a good mood.

"Good morning. I thought you would want to avoid the Great Hall this morning," she said, handing him the toast.