Last Task

Harry woke up to a small nightmare, not enough to get his elemental powers to react, but enough to make him jump and gasp awake. Harry looked around the room a little discombobulated. A voice made Harry jump, "You alright?"

Harry turned to the voice and relaxed when he saw it was Barty.

"Yeah. I'm fine, just some not so pleasant dreams," Harry honestly replied.

"What about?" Barty asks, being curious, but also understanding the therapy in talking about it.

"Just a few of the things I have seen," Harry replies vaguely.

"Fair enough. I have a question about something you said to the LeStranges," Barty stated.

"Alright. Go ahead," Harry replied.

"You had mentioned that you had dealt with traitors before, leaving them in worse condition than we left the Longbottoms. What did you mean by that?" Barty asked, looking a mix between disturbed and awed.

"Exactly what I said. Before I came back, we had wizards that would be loyal to both sides, giving information to each side, both magical and muggle, to remain alive. After it became apparent that the muggles were winning, those wizards showed their true colors. The ones we caught were tortured beyond recognition, beyond their sanity. It brought the term 'blood traitor' to a whole new level," Harry answered.

"What families turned traitor?" Barty asked, shocked that a wizard, no matter blood status, would do that.

"There weren't any full family by the time they revealed their colors, most families had already been reduced quite drastically, but that was a rarity. Anyway, the ones that did betray their own kind, it was never the entire family, it was only one or two of a family," Harry answered, not giving any names.

"I see. Harry, are you okay?" Barty asked, his question is deeper than just an emotional state.

"If you are asking if I am sane, the answer is not really, it's just really well hidden. If you are asking about my emotional state, no. I just found out that I can summon my children, the ones that are dead. That I failed to keep alive, that I failed to save, that I failed," Harry mumbled towards the end.

"I think you should summon them. You need that closure. You saw Black when he got to talk to your parents. It helped him so much. I think it would help you too," Barty said, wrapping Harry in a comforting embrace.

"I know. I know I need to, I want to. I don't want to, I don't know what will happen when I face them again. I am dreading my reaction after I talk to them. Plus to see them again, I don't know if I'd be able to handle that," Harry told him.

Barty sensed a need for a different topic so he asked, "How did you summon your parents?"

"Well, it's actually one of Tom's Horcruxes. He gave it to me after I had explained my life story, it was the Gaunt ring. The stone in the ring is actually the Ressurection Stone, one of the Deathly Hallows. With Death having adopted me, I have as much ownership to them as Death does. I have complete control over all the Hallows," Harry answers, seeing no issue in telling Barty the truth.

"How did you get adopted by Death?" Barty asked, rather intrigued by this information.

"When Tom came after me in 81, Death was watching. He was watching the Hallows change ownership. He was intrigued that it was a mere toddler that would gain ownership. What made him stay was not that though, it was that I was able to see him," Harry started.

"Anyway, after I was left with my muggle relatives, who hate magic, I was left in a cupboard under the stairs. My soul called out to Death many times. After a while, Death answered the call. He stayed with me night after night, caring for me, healing me after the 'loving' treatment I got from my relatives. After a while, he noticed his feelings for me were parental, thus claiming me as his son," Harry answered.