Barty's Questions

When the pair returned to Hogwarts, Harry went to the library, to chat with the Hufflepuffs he had befriended.

Luckily, they were actually in the library and not in their common room. 

"Hey, guys. What are you doing?" Harry said, walking up to Zacharias and Wayne.

"Hey, Harry. Just studying our DADA criteria. We have a great teacher this year, so we are trying to learn up as much as we can so that we can ask questions," Wayne said.

"Basically, we are going to read a bunch of books to go ask questions to a competent professor," Zacharias summed up.

Harry nods, "That sounds promising. Anything I can help with?"

"Well, if you understand anything on Occlumency and Legilimency, offer up. However, we don't expect you to have much information on it, considering the year you are in, but you never know." Wayne said.

"Legilimency is the art of mindreading, using the spell 'Legilimens.'  To perform the spell correctly, you have to not only have a specific reason but the will to look into another's mind. You also have to maintain eye contact with the person you are trying to cast the spell on. It is the simple side of Occlumency and Legilimency," Harry starts.

"Occlumency is the art of defending your mind, it helps block out the imperious and prevents others from reading your mind. Now, while most say it is easy to build a wall, that is usually the technique used for beginners. As you get better at the art of Occlumency, the Occlumens tends to change the wall to things like a forest or a library. They tend to hide certain memories in certain books, or in certain trees. Then they add things like traps or make the trees dense around the ones with the memories. They also would add things like bushes, vines, etc. There are a few cases of people using animals to protect their minds, like a lion that chases the other person out of their minds," Harry finished.

The two sixth-year students look at the fourth-year in shock. 

"How do you know so much about this branch of magic?" Wayne asks.

"I am an Occlumens. I can also do Legilimens, I prefer not to. Once one learns Occlumency, they are able to feel when someone is trying to use Legilimens on them," Harry explained.

"What does that feel like? When someone tries to enter your mind, what does it feel like? And, if one changes from a wall defense to a landscape defense, does it change the feeling?" Zacharias asks.

"The feeling is like a bump in your head. The feeling doesn't change depending on the defense, it is still like a nudge on your brain. The wall doesn't really go away, it just changes shape. So the feeling doesn't change," Harry answers

"So what caused you to learn these skills?" Wayne asked.

"Well, one thing I know is that it is possible to leave suggestions in one's mind, using Legilimency. They don't always work, but it is possible to do it. Another reason is the fact that two of the professors that work here are masters of both of the art. The final reason is that my thoughts are my own, my plans are my own, my mind is my own," Harry responds.

"Which professors know this?" Wayne asks, his eyes narrowing a little.

"Snape and Dumbledore tend to use it than the others. Dumbledore usually just skims surface thoughts, rather than dwelling into memories, whereas Snape will go into both. However, Dumbledore is more likely to leave some sort of suggestion," Harry replies honestly.

Harry can remember certain times when Dumbledore left a suggestion to go do, like in his first year to go after the troll. Also when he went into the chamber, his original plan was to just tell Lockhart and let the adult deal with it. It was rather frustrating to learn this, but, it needed to happen, if it didn't, Ginny would have died, and Voldemort return early.