Future Sins

He closed the door behind him and in a matter of seconds, he had all kinds of wards in place. That had been close, really close, too close. He slumped against the door and sighed, completely ignoring the wizard in the room that was starring at him.

"I'm far too old for this," Harry mumbled a little, momentarily forgetting the other person in the room.

Harry looked up and met the other wizard's eyes, who immediately dropped to his knees and bowed his head.

"My Lord," he said.

Harry couldn't help but raise an eyebrow, looking at the man with disbelief and slight annoyance.

"What the hell, Barty?" he asks.

"I am sorry, my Lord, if I had known you would be coming I would have-" 

"Barty!" Harry interrupted, "There was no way you could have known I would be coming since I hadn't been planning on it. However, your quarters were the closest hiding spot I could get into," Harry explained, "Now, will you tell me why the hell you are calling me Lord? And for Merlin's sake, stand up, will you?"

Barty looked at him as if he had never seen someone like him before, however, much to Harry's relief, Barty stood up.

"My Lord told me I had to obey your orders as if they were his own," Barty answered.

Harry nodded, "Yes, he told me that. That doesn't explain why you were calling me Lord."

"I assumed that would be required, since he told me you are to be treated as he is," Barty replied, looking bewildered.

"Sweet Merlin..." Harry groaned. "Don't, don't call me Lord. At least, not when it is just the two of us," Harry grumbled, "You are the only one who knows the truth, so I will be coming here a lot, even if it is just to vent. Or if I need a little space from the other students."

Slowly, Barty nodded, he looked as if he couldn't believe what Harry was telling him. However, Harry was pleased to see him relax, if only a little. It was better than nothing.

"So, you are hiding?" Barty asks, after a few awkward moments of silence. Harry almost thanked Merlin when he saw the teasing smirk in Barty's eyes. He really wanted to see the Barty he had a glimpse of in his previous life.

"Since I didn't enter the tournament, most of the girls are going around the castle, trying to console me. Apparently, it is traumatizing and I need a shoulder to cry on," Harry scowled, "There is nothing scarier than girls, well, fan-girls."

Harry must have looked truly horrified because Barty actually chuckled. 

"Let me get this straight," Barty said, "You face the Dark Lord without even looking nervous, and you are afraid of girls?"

"Not just girls, Barty!" Harry exclaims, "Fan-girls."

Harry felt rather pleased when he got Barty to actually laugh. He smiled and sat on one of the free armchairs near the fireplace. It took a second or two, but Bart took the seat next to his.

"You're taking this well," Harry remarked.

Barty actually snorted, "I'm taking this well?" he asked in disbelief, "Are you joking? I am still half expecting to wake up and this all be a dream. How else could the boy-who-lived join the Dark Lord?"

"I didn't really join him..." muttered Harry, and he was somewhat shocked when Barty jumped out of his armchair.

"That's just it!" he practically shouted, "You aren't even a Death Eater! He said you were his equal," Barty looked at Harry sharply, "What could you, a fourteen-year-old brat, have done to be the Dark Lord's equal? he sneered, a fanatical glow in his eyes, the insanity he usually hid so well when he was acting as Moody, dancing across his eyes.