40

LTPC Chapter 40: Open Your Heart

Yi Ran’s smile was helpless. “He always liked to attribute all the errors to himself, I know...Xiao Zhao, you should go back to rest.”

Gu Tingchuan liked to work for long periods of time, was always very particular about certain things, was introverted and reserved, was prone to treat work with a passionate mindset. So, all things considered, it was understandable that he was reluctant to share his inner world with her.

Yi Ran absentmindedly looked at the empty living room, completely bereft of any trace of anger. A few weeks ago, he was eating breakfast here, chatting with her, and then dealing with the work that had been purposefully delayed for a night. 

But now, Gu Tingchuan had returned to his studio and all she saw was the brown-walled iron gate that he put up to isolate himself from the world. This fortress had been unbreakable for so many years, and she did not have the courage to open it. 

The weather outside was cloudy, and the weather forecast predicted that there might be a light snowfall in the next few days. Dark clouds were now rolling over from the north, howling and spreading over the entire city. 

After a while, heavy snow fell onto the ground, and the outside world became a silver-clad garden. The vehicles parked outside were soon covered with a thick layer of frost and snow. It seemed as if the whole world was sleeping.

In the evening, Yi Ran insisted on delivering food to Gu Tingchuan. She took a deep breath and knocked on the door. When she didn't get a response, she tried to turn the door handle. Fortunately, it was unlocked and she was able to open the door. 

In fact, she had entered the studio many times before, but she had not taken the time to observe it carefully. Currently, the strong smell of coffee suffused the room, and the spacious curtains were pulled opened. 

Gu Tingchuan was standing by the table with things piled messily up by his feet. There was a TV attached to the left wall that was likely also used for video conferencing. 

Yi Ran didn't have time to look at these things and was focused on the man. Fortunately, he didn't look at her indifferently and didn't rush her out but remained silent.

She persuaded him in a worried tone, "Your sleep has always been bad. Don't drink too much coffee. It can upset your sleep cycle."

"I know, it's okay."

Gu Tingchuan said this but his sight was focused on the movie being played on the TV. Occasionally, his gaze would drop to the books and documents in his hands.

She set down the plate and tried to talk to him about recent events. “Oh right, do you remember that my friend is a doctor at a psychology center? She praised you for being particularly precise about the character's psychological state."

Gu Tingchuan didn't look back, but his voice had a hint of amusement. “Really.”

“I made dim sum with a new recipe, which was hell-level difficult. Would you like to try it?"

He just nodded, "Okay, just leave it."

No matter what she said, the topic was often simply ended by him.

Yi Ran sighed and turned slowly toward the door. When she looked up sideways, she saw the puffs of white snowflakes floating outside the window, gently flowing like waves of catkins rippling in mid-air. It looked extraordinarily beautiful. 

She suddenly froze.

The city of S had not have such heavy snowfall in many years. The sky hung low and heavy, and the branches outside were pulled into disorder by the fierce wind, causing them to creak and groan. The longed for snowstorm had arrived.