Under My Skin - Part 30

Rachel grinned evilly, eyeing the spatter of food on the wall of the lab caused by Bella when she was introduced to Martin Zachs. Bella, now safe and calm in her Plexiglas and wire cage, chattered and blinked.

"Good girl," said Rachel as she gave the chimp a replacement banana. The former banana was now a splat on the door, though it had been inches from Zachs' suit.

A nurse came through the door, raising an eye at the mess. "Agent Will wants to see you."

Rachel frowned and put her spotless lab coat back on. What had Zachs asked him? "I thought I told him to rest after questioning."

"He's still asking for you."

She sighed and headed for the door. "You know what to do?"

"I'll have janitorial here in five minutes."

"Good. And if Zachs comes back again asking questions, you have my permission to give him hell."

***

Cetz longed for a fresh cup of coffee as he watched Zachs' two men pass radiation wands over everything in the BT room.

As if our sensors wouldn't be able to detect a radiation leak, thought Cetz. And the BT doesn't even create radiation. A hundred x-rays worth of exposure to radiation adds up, but you could be scanned by this thing a hundred times and come out completely healthy; at least as long as someone hasn't messed with the pulse emitter settings.

Zachs stood back in the shadow of the BT, standing in appreciation of the machine. The BT was completely powered down, but its bulk and design made one think it could awaken and growl.

"It's surprising how far we have come in technology," said Zachs, walking closer to the BT and running his hand over the overview panel. "Little more than five years ago this machine was a bunch of wires and pulse emitters. And now, it's a marvel of internal imaging and diagnostic. Which version is this? Eight? Nine?"

"It's the BT-10," answered Cetz. And if Rachel saw you touching the BT like that she'd sic Bella on you again.

"I hear Watch One's Tech team is trying to develop a BT-12," said Zachs.

"I've heard rumor of an 11 in the works, but not a 12," said Cetz offhand. Though Rachel would be interested in any development with the BTs. He kept an eye on goon number one who was passing his wand over the equipment locker containing Louis' things. Did he remember to put the lock on the locker, or had Rachel already done so? It didn't look like Zachs was going to have it opened and examined. "It's kind of hard to imagine a machine going further than it is now."

"Oh, things can always go further," commented Zachs. "It's simply a question of whether it can be done safely."

Cetz nodded before turning to the control room and rolling his eyes.

"Too bad this can't be powered up," called Zachs. "I'd love a demonstration. I hear your Med Tech, Rachel is a magician with the scan settings.

"Abracadabra," muttered Cetz. He turned back to the Head of Security, noting the uncharacteristic eagerness on the man's face. "We were using it before you had our power cut off."

"Oh, my. Nothing too important lost I hope?"

"We were checking the extent of Will's internal injuries."

"Ah. He seemed a little... snappish when I questioned him."

"Separated from his partner, in pain, and lacking sleep; anyone would be snappish," said Cetz. He wondered what exactly Will was questioned about to make him distempered. Being cut off from communication with Louis wouldn't have helped matters either. "But Will is usually very patient and calm."

"I'd imagine him to be patient if he's stayed with Agent Patriarch for so long." Zachs checked something off on his clipboard. "Everything here looks alright. On to the next room."

They went down the hall towards the elevators. Perhaps, though he loathed the idea, Cetz could score some suck up points with the man so he could get more information about the lockdown. "Rachel might be able to do a demonstration once lockdown is over, but you'd have to ask her nicely."

Zachs brushed the shoulders of his suit, as if whipping away the memory of hurled banana mush. "Hm, I'll consider it. But that might take some time. Lockdown will continue until we know Louis is ready to come back. And ance Agent Louis has returned with the virus and I've gotten a full interview with him I will depart."

Cetz's stomach bottomed out. Oh, fuck me with a pineapple.