Chapter 22

"I'll go get the tea," Sabine said and rushed out of the room. Marinette was puzzled. She's never heard her father discuss Emilie or Gabriel. He always talked about his Hogwarts days but not them.

"Your mother isn't a fan of this story. Sadly it doesn't have a happy ending." Tom said. "Are you sure you want me to tell you Adrien. It doesn't show your father in a positive light." Adrien nodded.

"I already don't like him. There's nothing to be tarnished." Tom frowned at the blonde.

"It all started in our 3rd year..."

Tom and Emilie sat in the library studying in the back corner.

"I'm still upset we will never have any classes together. I'm stuck with the egotistical Gryffindors." Emilie sighed. "The Slytherins are worse."

"Have you tried making friends with those in your house? It's your 3rd year. Surely they can't be that obnoxious." Tom suggested. "I've gotten close with this really nice Ravenclaw, Nathalie. I know she has some Slytherin friends and they aren't too horrible."

"Probably the upperclassmen. I hang out with them in the common room but unfortunately, they aren't in any of my classes."

"I have an idea. How about on the next Hogsmeade trip I'll invite Nathalie and ask her to bring a Slytherin friend to introduce you to. Are you okay with that?" Emilie nodded excitedly.

"That was the beginning of a long journey. That's when that photo was taken. Gabriel was immediately smitten with Emilie, he was before we all hung out the first time. And as it turns out Nathalie's opinion of him was swayed due to her very apparent feelings towards him that he often used to his advantage. Emilie always rejected him, however we continued to all be friends. Fast forward about 3 years I think. Yes in our 6th year. Emilie finally agreed to a date to my disbelief. I'm not sure how he convinced her. They became a couple of Hogwarts. Emilie didn't let that ruin our friendship thankfully. They took a pause after he graduated and we were in our 7th year. And then our graduation happened."

Sabine sat cheering for her boyfriend of 3 years in the audience. Tom had to tell her the truth about his school in order to salvage their relationship. Despite her confusion she wholeheartedly supported him. Tom sat amongst the Hufflepuff-Slytherin border, him and Emilie beside each other. Gabriel was also in the audience, more towards the back. After the ceremony, their group and Sabine reunited in the Great Hall.

"Gabriel, Nathalie, this is my girlfriend Sabine. I've told you all about her." Tom said. Sabine hugged Nathalie and went over to greet Gabriel before he pushed her away.

"There's no need for me to touch this filthy muggle of your's Thomas," Gabriel said disgustedly. Tom was livid, pushing Sabine behind him and walking up to Gabriel, towering over him.

"What did you just say. I've had to listen to your pompous ass for years and I've dealt with it. Now you've crossed a line. Don't you dare speak to her like that you pathetic excuse for a wizard!" Tom exclaimed, practically spitting on Gabriel. He took Sabine by the hand and walked briskly away. When he turned around he saw Emilie stand beside Gabriel holding his hand.

"I'm no longer upset at her choice Adrien. She was in love. I understand that. Unfortunately, there's more to it." Tom said solemnly. Marinette places a comforting hand on her father's shoulder before he continued.

About 3 years later, Tom and Sabine were in the process of moving into a small house right after getting married. Tom has not seen nor spoken to Emilie since graduation. The couple was started by an intense knocking at their front door. Sabine waved to her husband to open it.

"How can I help y-" Tom began before he realized who it was. Emilie was pounding at her door in the rain. Tom quickly ushered the blonde inside. "Sabine, can you make us some tea?" When Sabine saw the soaking woman she ran and grabbed her a blanket before starting the tea. Tom brought her to a table and the two sat in silence. Sabine brought over the tea and sat beside Tom. The silence continued until Tom eventually spoke up.

"Emilie, are you okay? Why were you out there in the rain?" With that, she broke into sobs. Tom our a comforting hand on her shoulder. "Shhhh, it's okay. Just breathe. You're safe here."

"It's the war. That god awful war that is ending. Gabriel-" hiccup, "He's in the thick of it. He says he's not involved, that he's busy working but I know he's lying. He's- he's a Hawkmoth supporter Tom! Hawkmoth! I can't. I refuse!" She continued to sob. Tom and Sabine looked at each other with a knowing look.

"Emilie, our home is your home. Always has been and always will be." Sabine said grabbing the distraught woman's hand.

"I can't leave him, Tom. I love him. This war is tearing us apart. Maybe we just need a few days apart. We have the rest of our lives to spend together."

"That was our biggest mistake. We would never turn away Emilie, for we love your mother dearly. We just so happened to forget a tiny detail. Gabriel was known for being hot-headed and also a Hawkmoth supporter. So that's a good combination." Adrien and Marinette glanced at each other, both thinking the same thing. This was how they would learn about Hawkmoth. Through the stories of those who lived during the war.

2 days after Emilie moved into the Dupain-Cheng household, disaster struck. The three were eating dinner, laughing and talking, just like old times. Emilie was looking happier and healthier so much so that the coupled hoped she would leave Gabriel. All of a sudden, the door burst down. Tom quickly stood up, pulling out his wand.

"Get behind me," Tom yelled at the girls. In the doorway stood 3 cloaked figures. The one in the middle stepped forward dropping his hood to reveal himself as Gabriel.

"Emilie! What are you doing here with this traitor! Come home this instant!" Gabriel yelled at her. Emilie shook her head and stood behind Tom.

"Listen Gabriel. You have no right to enter my house, break my door, and harass my guest. Leave. Now." Tom growled at the intruders.

"We can work this out Emilie, I love you more than anything-"

"Even more than Hawkmoth!" She shouted at him. Everyone stopped and held their breath. Gabriel pulled out his wand and pulled Sabine over to him. She cried out in panic.

"Emilie! You either come with me or the muggle dies!" He shouted. Tom was enraged. How dare he. How dare he!

"Okay."

"Your mother is the bravest person I know Adrien. She sacrificed herself for my wife and we are eternally grateful. Despite just moving into that house, we left and moved far away into the muggle world. The war was in full force and Sabine was in serious danger due to our relationship. I always hoped she got out of that relationship." Tom put his arm around Adrien as Sabine entered to room.

"I owe your mother my life, Adrien. If there is anything we can do for you, just say it." Sabine pulled the blonde into a hug.

   "Thank you."

•   •   •

   Adrien and Marinette sat on the couch in silence as her parents picked up lunch. She rested her head on his shoulder.

   "Adrien, are you okay?" Marinette asked him. He nodded.

   "Yeah I just, I miss my mom so much." The blonde began to tear up. Marinette leaned over and pulled him into a hug. Adrien quietly sniffled as she hugged him. Even after he was done crying the two remained in that pose, neither wanting to move.

   "Hey, how about after lunch we bake some cookies, that'll be fun right?" Marinette said. Adrien nodded before excusing himself to the bathroom. As she watched him leave her mind was racing. Thoughts about her parents and Gabriel and Emilie. The most prominent was how she regretted not dating Adrien and staying with Luka all that time. Oh how much she cared for the blonde.

1381 words