Chapter 29

"Checkmate!" Marinette cheered in victory. Her and Alya sat in the common room playing wizard chess after dinner that evening.

"No surprise there Marinette, you always do." Alya laughed. She hates wizard chess, but it makes Marinette happy to play against her, so she pushed through it.

"I don't always win Alya."

"Yeah, you do Marinette. You always beat me too." A familiar voice said. Both girls stopped and turned to face a boy they haven't seen in weeks.

"Get out Luka. You shouldn't be here, especially near Marinette." Alya said angrily.

"I just want to talk to Marinette in private for a few minutes. That's all. I won't do anything." Luka explained. Alya stood up to face him.

"Listen here you-"

"Alya stop," Marinette spoke quietly, "Go wait in the dormitory for me."

"Marinette that's an awful idea!"

"I can take care of myself. Go." Marinette stood up and faced her friend. Alya stepped back in defeat and went up the stairs to their room. "What is it, Luka? You said if you chase after me, I have permission to slap you." Luka laughed half-heartedly.

   "I just want to say thank you. I took your advice and I'm leaving Hogwarts for the rest of the year in order to get help. I spoke to my mom and she put me in intensive therapy. She was devastated I became by father but was relieved that I wanted to change for the better. I just came back to get my things." He hugged the bluenette as she remained motionless. "I hate myself for what I did. I wish I realized in a different way I needed help. I'm so sorry Marinette for what I did."

   "Thank you. I wish it didn't happen too but there's something good coming out of it. I'm really proud of you Luka." Marinette felt tears brim her eyes that she blinked away. She took a step back from him. "I hope you get better, and that I'll see you next year. Goodbye Luka." She quickly went up the stairs.

"Goodbye Marinette."

• • •

Adrien sat alone in the Astronomy tower. It was after curfew but he didn't care. When did anyone enforce it anyway? He ran out of the Great Hall after dinner, just wanting time to think. About what? The possibility of his dad being Hawkmoth. His dad was never the type to take orders from people, so there was no way he could be a follower. He must be Hawkmoth. That was the only logical explanation. That led to Adrien's next point. Could he kill his own dad? The man was barely a father to him, especially after what happened to his mom. So why did he care?

"There you are dude, I've been looking everywhere for you." Nino said, sitting beside the blonde. Adrien didn't lookup.

"Why?"

"Because I know you. I know that you hate being alone, that it reminds you of your home." Nino sighed. "You can't push us away Adrien. That's your plan, in order to make it easier when you leave."

"That's not what it is."

"Good. Because right now you, me, and the girls will be spending every moment together making the most of it before everything turns to shit." Nino smiled lazily. Adrien finally looked at the boy he considers to be his best friend.

"I don't understand why you're trying Nino. You do know what my family believes in right? That all Muggles and Muggleborns should be destroyed. That my father is apart of that movement. Why are you still here?" Adrien frowned. Nino put his arm around him in response.