Chapter 28

"And that's pretty much it. Anything you want to add Adrien?" Marinette sat in a chair with Adrien leaning behind it. Alya and Nino sat across from them on a table. Adrien shook his head no. Marinette had to recount almost everything that has happened to the pair from them becoming Ladybug and Chat Noir and finding out their identities. She conveniently left out that they attempted to date but they had to stop for their protection.

"One question," Alya started and Marinette held her breath, "What happened between the two of you! It makes sense why you guys were distant after your identities were revealed and then you finally got close again. You were practically inseparable before break! And we come back and you barely speak. We are not stupid. That's why we followed you in the first place!" Marinette looked down and fiddled with her hands in her lap.

"What we told you was the truth. That we believe we are better off as friends. That's it." Adrien growled at the couple. Alya's face showed she didn't believe it but she didn't say it. Nino massaged his temples trying to make sense of it all.

"Why did you tell us? You could have just dragged us to Professor Fu and have him obliviate us." Nino said, looking up at them.

"To be honest Nino," Marinette sighed and glanced at Adrien for reassurance, "We might end up doing that. For your safety. As much as I would like you to know the truth, it would be so helpful when we have to sneak off, your protection comes first." This felt very familiar.

"What if I say screw it?" Alya stood up. All 3 students look puzzled at her action. "I mean it. We can protect ourselves. I say take the risk. I've been wondering for months what you were hiding! And I refuse to forget! Let me remember! Let me help!" Marinette smiled at her friend's stubbornness before frowning once more.

"I can't let you risk yourself Alya. I wouldn't let anyone." Marinette stood up too and glanced at Adrien to see if he was paying attention. He was. "I care too much about you to let selfish desires risk you getting hurt or worse! I wouldn't be able to live with myself if something were to happen because of this. I would die to protect you. But I won't let you do the same for me. This secret puts your whole life at risk! I don't think you understand. Hawkmoth, the most powerful dark wizard, and his strong followers are after us. Anyone who knows the truth, he'll go after. He'll torture you in order to get to us!" Marinette yelled. "Don't hate me because of this. I'm doing this because I love you!" As Adrien watched her on her tirade, he knew it wasn't just directed at Alya and Nino. It was meant for him too. He bit his lip at her ending words. 'Because I love you!' He knew he had to change the subject before things got too intense.

"What were you saying before all of this Mari, what did you find?" Adrien asked her in order to interrupt Alya's reply. Marinette felt her breathe get caught in her throat. He hasn't called her that since they met with Fu. She ran over to her book and when to the page she had open when they walked in.

"This might be why Hawkmoth wants our Miraculous. It's a prophecy that the Black Cat and the Ladybug would lead to the Dark Moth's undoing. Fu told us long ago that we were destined to hold the miraculous, which means we're the only ones who can defeat him. Without our Miraculous to give us special skills and to strengthen our powers, he can easily defeat us." Marinette said quickly. Adrien gaped at the information. "We have to tell Fu immediately. C'mon Adrien!" They went to leave the room when they remembered Alya and Nino standing behind them. "You can remember, for now, until it gets dangerous. Stay here." The pair ran out of the room, leaving their friends to wonder what was to happen to them.

•   •   •

   Marinette banged on the door of the Headmaster impatiently. Adrien kept on trying to pry open the door and eventually did it. They ran up the stairs and stopped when they heard unfamiliar voices. Marinette motioned for them to be quiet and listen.