Early Lunch

I was dumbfounded by what Jennie said. Mga ilang segundo din ako napa-tulala sa kanya. Hangga't hinigit ako nito at nag-salita na siya ulit.

"Manoban? Anong gusto mo kainin?" Jennie asked me.

"Ha? Ah eh, sorry. Ikaw ano ba gusto mo kainin?" I said to her.

"Kahit ano, ikaw ililibre ko eh." She said.

"I know na, I know this little restaurant off campus, mga isang bloke ang layo dito." I said to her.

"Cool, we could walk." She said.

Nag-simula na kaming mag-lakad ulit ni Jennie. Nang tatawid na kami sa tawiran, para magpunta sa kabilang street she reached for my hand bago kami tumawid.

"Sorry, I have a phobia of crossing a small street." She said eventually sabay bitaw sa kamay ko nang makatawid na kami.

Her face was flustered at what she just did.

"Bakit ka may Phobia?" I asked her as we walked.

"When I was 9 years old, I could cross a small street no problem, pero isang araw, I witnessed a hit and run accident. Nahuli naman yung kotse na bumangga kay manang, but I grew afraid of crossing a small street. Pero sa wider streets na may stop light, I could cross it with out having a mini anxiety attack." She said to me.

I understand what it feels like to experience that. I go through the same ordeal just hearing people mock me. Nung grade school ako, I was often bullied along with Rabbit, it was the worst kind of bullying that I had to learn muay thai, I had to fight back somehow so I took muay thai lessons during weekends. After a few weeks of graduating from the muay thai class, another bully shoved Rabbit's shoulder, dito na ako lumaban para kay Rabbit. From that time on, I became bullied to scaring the bullies off. Although may times na nag-lalakas pa din sila ng loob na i-bully si Rabbit, I would never let anyone get to the extent na sobra na sila. Katulad na lang kanina, I had a mini anxiety attack because Jennie kept on mocking me.

"I see, kaya pala. I'm sure it must have been horrible for you. I get you." I said to her.

"Ikaw, bakit ka umiyak kanina?" She asked me.

"I remembered my bullies back when I was younger, pero wala na yun. I fought back eventually." I said smiling to her.

"Hmmm. Must be scary for you ano?" Jennie said.

"It could be, lalo na yung approach mo kasi kanina you sounded like a former bully I had." I confessed.

"Biro lang yun, I'm sorry pala for scaring you kanina. For making you cry, I really didn't mean to." Jennie said to me as we approached the restaurant.

"It's okay, you didn't know. Andito na tayo." I said to her.

She looks up the quaint little Samgyupsal place just a block away from school.

"Mmmm, you love meat?" She asked me as I pulled the door open for her.

"Yes, pati chicken. After you." I said smiling.

"Thanks. Nagulat ka pa kanina na nakakakain ako ng sampung piraso ng chicken. Pero favorite mo din pala." Jennie said rolling her eyes.

I laughed at how cute she was being, she suddenly hits my arm.

"Tawa pa Manoban!" Her eyes turned into slits.

She was cute but scary at this point, I sighed and shook my head at her and said.

"Nasurpresa lang ako kasi nga ang liit ng katawan mo pero yung appetite mo for chicken sobra, also hindi ka naman ba nahahighblood sa chicken skin?" I said to her rather worried.