8

Nora sat in the yard painting with Hope, "You teach me something new everytime we talk," Nora smiled at the young child

"That's because I'm smart," Hope smiled up at Nora.

Nora ruffled her hair as she stood up, "That you are, Darling."

Hayley stood in the doorway as the three heard a car approaching, "Is that her?" Hope asked nearly ready to run to the noise.

Hayley smiled, "Let me go check, stay here," Nora stood up and followed Hayley down the stairs. She knew if it wasn't Mary, who she had come to know over the five years, than it was trouble.

The two women saw Mary pulling up in her truck, "Well aren't you a sight." Mary smiled at Hayley. Nora stayed on the porch while Hayley went down to greet her.

"Are you sure no one followed you?" Hayley crossed her arms.

Mary walked closer, "I've been avoiding trouble since well before you were born. Now where's that little girl?" Mary pointed to the house.

"Did you find it?" Hayley asked when Nora's hearing was broken away by a creak in the wood.

Nora turned around to see Hope creeping down the stairs, "What are you doing missy?"

Hope froze clearly caught, "I'm sorry Aunt Nora, I just wanted to peak."

Nora smiled at her niece, "You know what I'm going to say."

Hope nodded sadly, "Peaking is dangerous."

Nora nodded, "Yes it is."

It didn't take long before Hayley pulled the coffin truck around to the front of the house, "Do you both have to go?"

"Yes but I'll be home very soon and I won't be alone. I'll call you every night before bed, okay?" The two hugged, "In the meanwhile, you listen to Mary. Deal?"

The two kissed two of their fingers before placing them together. Then they hugged again before Nora was left with Hope as Mary walked with Hayley.

Nora bent down to her height, "What's wrong?"

Hope began to cry a bit, "I just miss you both, when your gone." Nora wiped her tears as she pulled her in for a tight hug.

"I'll be here with you, so is Mary. When Mommy gets back, she'll have our family," Nora pulled away from the girl, "How about a ice cream date night?"

Hope smirked, mimicking her father, "Can we have Pj's on?"

Nora smiled at the girl, "You can wear whatever you'd like," Hope grabbed Nora's hand.

Hayley got into the truck, "Bye guys!" Hayley yelled as she pulled off.

In these long, five years, Nora found herself a new best friend,  new sister. Hayley found herself thinking the same way about Nora. The two shared secrets that only they knew or that their significant other knew about them. So Nora was always nervous when Hayley left and asked Nora to watch Hope. Of course Nora wanted to go along, but both women knew they had to protect Hope at all costs.