•fourteen•

Toritsuka

The most dreaded day.

Monday.

6:30 AM and the boys were rudely awoken by Saiki's mother.

They were groggy but managed to shower and dress. Toritsuka was in the restroom brushing his hair. Saiki came in behind him to apply deodorant.

  "You should go without your headband today." He said and continued on with his other arm.

  "So you preferred me without it this entire time and just now told me. It's been years dude." Toritsuka murmured and laughed at the end.

Saiki glared at him.

  "Don't call me dude." He said in a dangerous tone that weirdly aroused Toritsuka.

  "And we weren't friends." Saiki's voice rung. Toritsuka internally winched at his harsh words. That was the thing about Saiki. He was blunt and didn't sugar coat or beat around the bush. At times it was a tool for Toritsuka, he never had to infer the real meaning of the boy's words. But at other times they stung, and Saiki was too damn clueless or careless to consider it.

Toritsuka hated how emotionally driven he was. As Saiki left he felt himself tearing up. And it made no sense to him. The words didn't mean much, they honestly really weren't friends. Saiki never made an attempt to speak with him. But Toritsuka always just assumed that he wanted to but never did.

But it was clear that Saiki had never intended to in the first place. Where would we be if I'd never came here on Friday.

Cooped up in my room thinking about him.

He wiped a tear streaming down his face and smiled.

But I'm with him now, that counts for something right?

The silent walk to school made Toritsuka nervous. Was Saiki going to ignore-

  "I'm not okay with telling anyone about this. I would like for it to stay between us." Saiki said and walked ahead into the school. Toritsuka froze with his mouth hung open.

Wow, didn't expect it to be that harsh.

It was happening again, he was getting all worked up about what Saiki said to him. Did he purposely say it in that tone to make me want to stay away from him? Does he even really like me? Was it just a fling over the weekend to occupy him?

"Toritsuka, did you hear anything I asked you?! You need to get serious, you have finals in most of your classes! If I were you I would answer my question!" His teacher yelled as she pointed between his eyes.

  "Sorry I have to use the restroom!" He lied and ran out. He could feel everyone's eyes on him but he didn't care. As soon as he was in a stall he began crying. Violent sobs racked his body and he muffled his mouth with his hand.

There was a knock on the door.

  "It's me." He concluded Hairo to be the one behind the door.

  "You okay, you ran out pretty fast?" Toritsuka could hear the tinge of worry in his voice.

  "Yeah yeah fine... just worried about finals and all." He lied and sniffled.

  "Open the door." Hairo ordered. Toritsuka was shocked but stood and slowly opened the door. He saw the taller male ahead of him. When his eyes landed upon Toritsuka's face he cringed.

  "You wouldn't cry over finals like that. What's really wrong?"

Toritsuka contemplating lying but he didn't have the strength. What was the point of hiding things from people? He was tired of holding it all in.

  "I kind of had an amazing weekend with someone and now that we're at school they're blowing me off."

And strong hand was on his shoulder. Before he knew it, he was in a tight hug. God, it sent him over, he was a crying mess and could barely control the range of his sobs.

It took minutes for him to calm down. He wiped his eyes and pulled away.

  "Ugh thanks for that, I know you must be missing lessons for this. I apologize." Toritsuka bowed and heard a hearty laugh from Hairo.

  "All good, I studied all last week I'll be fine. Besides, the health of my classmates is my number one priority." He gave another clap to Toritsuka's back.

  "If you ever need to talk, I'm here." He said and turned to leave. Toritsuka smiled to himself before cleaning up and heading back to class.

Toritsuka was adjusting to ignoring Saiki. It was practically how things were before. He would look at Saiki, admire him from afar, and be too afraid to talk.

Except this time he knew that Saiki didn't want them to talk.

And to make matters worse, Kaido was all over Saiki. Everywhere Saiki was Kaido was right behind him. And Saiki didn't even attempt to make him go away. Toritsuka knew that Kaido didn't like him and wanted him away from Saiki. But what could he do, at school him and Saiki weren't on speaking terms.

By lunch time, Toritsuka was ready to go home.

Kaido had been shoving it in his face that Saiki was hanging out with him.

  "Guessing your little plan to talk to Saiki didn't work. Doesn't even look like he likes you." Kaido sneered as he came behind Toritsuka in the courtyard. Toritsuka shook his head.

  "Doesn't look that way does it." He murmured and his lunch that Saki's mother packed was smacked to the ground.

  "Stay away from him freak show. Yeah, I've seen you talking to no one. Fucking weirdo, stay in your place." Toritsuka sighed as he walked away.

He was able to save an apple from the now mangled food.

.

Word Count 939