Part 2: The Conversation

Everyone went back to the food and the party once they realized it was merely John. But Arlo and his closer friends kept their eyes on John, suspicious. Isen was analyzing his every step, making sure he didn't ruin the triple layer cake. To be honest, at the moment that was all he cared about. On the other hand, Elaine feared that he was holding an active bomb to drop or something. But he didn't do either, and just walked over to Arlo.

Arlo stiffened when he walked over to him. John didn't seem like he was in the mood to destroy him. He more so looked... tired. Well that was good news. He wasn't going to have the energy to destroy the entire school today. 

John: Here you go Arlo.

He placed a black package in Arlo's hands, which Arlo examined. He wasn't exactly afraid of this thing, but definitely wary. 

Arlo: Thanks I guess... John.

John nodded, and walked over to Seraphina. Of course he wasn't here for his birthday. Arlo nearly let out a sigh of relief. It would have been stranger if John had been here to celebrate.

Arlo carefully put the small black gift over at the large pile of gifts in the corner. He walked back to the tables, looking back every now and then to make sure it wasn't blowing up. But mostly, it seemed that John was just here to talk with Seraphina. Typical. He shouldn't have been scared of anything.

The party was at full blast, with Blyke being the DJ and the rest dancing and laughing. Arlo stood while watching them, not dancing or laughing, but that was just a mask for the happiness he was feeling inside. He walked over to the punch table to get a drink and looked over at the mountain of gifts. Teetering on the top was John's small present wrapped in black paper. He brought himself over to look at it, and while looking back to make sure no one was watching, took it and stuffed it in his pocket.

Dashing toward the bathrooms, he didn't see John and Seraphina intensely talking to each other. As soon as Arlo reached a stall, he carefully unwrapped the present, and inside was a small box. He opened the lid, and...

A 25 dollar gift card at Woaba Boba, along with a small note. Arlo's heart settled again normally. He really shouldn't have been scared of a thing. John wouldn't do anything with the entire school and Seraphina watching. Arlo walked out the bathroom and stopped right before turning the corner. He was just about to read the note when he heard loud voices near. He stayed still. He could hear Seraphina and John's voices...

John: Will you tell me what is wrong? You haven't talked to me for the past week!

Sera: ...you don't need to know John.

John: Please Sera! I'm your friend! You can tell me. Is it something about Arlo?

Sera: No... No, I can't John. I'm sorry. Talk to you later.

John: When is later? Sera!?

Arlo peeked out to see Sera storming off back to the party and John standing there, confused and hurt by her words. Sera... why wouldn't she talk to John? Did they have a fight? But John said that he was involved. He didn't really talk to either of them... when was the last time?

Then, Arlo remembered what he had told Seraphina.

John's Joker

Didn't she wave it off, and didn't he let pretend as if it never happened? Why was she still on that topic?

Did she actually realize that John was Joker, just because she saw that fight?

Arlo was confused, but a strange feeling came up his throat. He had never felt this way before. Although he did want John to stop, he hadn't wanted to hurt Seraphina also. And John... no he didn't feel bad for him. Mostly. 

Arlo sighed. He wasn't sure how to fix this problem. He decided just to wait, because Seraphina would calm down, and talk it out with John eventually. He was her best friend.

John walked to the doors of the party, then turned to the stairs. 

Arlo wasn't sure what he should feel now that he listened to their private conversation. He decided to turn back to what he had been doing earlier, still feeling strange from listening to their conversation, and opened the note John had given him.

*************

Meet me at the rooftop at 8 pm today. Don't you dare be late.

I knew you would open this at the party because I'm dangerous or something.

-John

*************

Arlo sighed. When was this guy ever going to grow up?