Part 30: A Lead

Julie, being half dragged into Remi's dorm by Anya, was afraid. Obviously she was afraid, seeing that Anya was being more serious than ever, and because of the fact that Remi was the queen of Wellston. She could kill her within a second. 

Julie shivered as Anya knocked on the door, which opened a second later. Remi stood, with a poker face on. She motioned for Anya to leave, and Julie stood alone in the room with Remi, the queen of Wellston. She was starting to quiver.

Remi looked up at her and made a small smile. However, the smile didn't reach her eyes, making Julie as tense as ever. 

Julie timidly spoke. 

Julie: H-Hello Remi. Why did you call me?

Remi stared at her so intently that Julie started to flush. What was going on in her mind?

At the moment, Remi was observing her. She had most certainly seen this girl somewhere. Her white hair - 

Remi's feet froze because of the girl who had ice powers. 

Their hair was the same silvery color. 

But Remi couldn't act impulsively without any proof. Instead, Remi fingered the vial in her pocket, then brought it out. She wanted to see Julie's reaction. 

Remi had expected for a look of horror to cross Julie's face, because she had found out the secret liquid that Julie was being paid in. But much to her dismay, Julie seemed unaffected. She even looked excited. 

Julie: Oh, do you have one too? They must be really popular. My sister had one given to her in her college and she gave me an extra! Honestly they're really goo-

Remi: What college does your sister go to?

Remi's face set like a stone. This was beginning to become complicated. Julie's sister's college gave these out for free? Or was there something she was missing? 

Julie shrugged.

Julie: I think it's the local community college. It was a pretty big surprise because my sister had good grades and a elite level ability. She should have been able to get in some good colleges, but instead she kinda became distant. 

Remi: Distant?

Julie: She wouldn't come visit us or anything, and we didn't know where she lived or worked to get money. The only person she came in contact with a few times was me, and a few days ago she gave these to me, telling me to join her company or something. 

Remi: Do you have a picture of her? 

Julie took out her phone and started to scroll. She wasn't dead yet, so she was pretty sure Remi wasn't mad at her. But why did she want to know so much about her sister? 

Julie: Here you go!

Remi looked at the photo. She looked almost the same as Julie, except for the fact that she was a bit taller and had a more sky blue eye look with more fierce makeup. Remi hadn't seen her eye color, but her power up color matched her eyes, as it usually did. She clenched her teeth. Good thing she hadn't blown up in Julie's face.   

Remi: Can I have her number?

Julie nodded. She was pretty sure her sister was going to kill her for giving away her number to a stranger she didn't know. But she was at a stalemate. Get killed by her sister or Remi. And Remi was the queen - she had a higher level than her sister. 

Julie: Here it is. 

She scribbled it down on a piece of paper, which Remi looked at. 111-111-Elsa. Seemed legit enough. Remi eyed Julie one last time, then waved her hand to let her go. Julie bowed slightly, then stumbled out of the room. 

If Julie is telling the truth, her sister is nearly 100% working with EMBER. These vials are too precious to be given out to anyone in a college. 

Remi took out her phone and dialed in the number. She waited for 2 rings, when someone picked up.

Person: Hello? Who is this?

Remi: I am a Reporter in the area of Wellston, named Remi. I would like to ask you some things. 

Silence passed for a while before the other spoke again.

Person: How did you get my number? 

Remi: I'm interviewing people who go to your college. I got your number from your school board.

Remi sounded calm, but inside her heart was pounding. Was she convincing enough?

The other person on the line seemed to be thinking. Then, deeming her reason was good enough, spoke again.

June: My name is June. I right now don't have time to speak, but in an hour or so, we can call again. 

Remi: Actually... could we meet up? I have a nice place where we can talk. It would be nice to see you face to face. 

June: Hm... I think that'll be fine. Please text me the address. Thank you for calling though.

Remi: Its fine. Goodbye. 

Their call abruptly ended. Remi convinced herself that meeting her would be good. If she met her face to face, she wouldn't be able to run away from her questioning. 

***************

Arlo walked outside of one of the other buildings, looking for a way to get inside. He had searched for cards lying around, and had tried to walk in with other people going inside the building. But his attempts were unsuccessful. 

He eyed the building when one of the windows reflected sunlight, making him squint. Then, he saw the window next to the one blinding him was open. 

He now had a way to get inside. 

Arlo walked a bit further away from the building to see if anyone was in there. He couldn't see anyone, and looked around on the grounds. There were no security cameras facing his way, and there were no longer any more people just walking around. 

The window was on the second floor, but that wasn't a big problem. Arlo activated his ability and created a barrier. Then, he climbed over it to reach the window. The window was a little small, but he was able to squeeze in. He was going to be in so much trouble now if someone walked in. But it was too late for regrets. 

He started to sift through the paper files in the cabinets, looking for something about EMBER, or Rei, or maybe even Blyke. But all he found were small crimes, such as shoplifting or mugging. There were no murders of any such. Maybe he was in the wrong office. 

Arlo took a step to come out when something under his foot creaked. He looked down at his foot. Carpet wasn't supposed to squeak with a metallic sound like that. He saw a little rift in the carpet that made a box. Arlo crouched to see if it would pry open. Without much force, the small door swung open. Arlo's heart pounded. What was in here?

He heard voices talking outside of the door. They luckily passed by, but he couldn't stay here much longer. He looked inside the small compartment to find files, with a fire mark on each folder. 

EMBER.

Arlo grabbed a file and opened it to find it labeled Equinox. Weren't they a dead superhero? 

Their face was printed on the papers inside, and he flipped a paper when he found words that made his heart stop. 

Successfully Exterminated.

What did that mean?

Arlo grabbed another file and opened it to meet with Rei's face. He felt anger rising in his face. What had they done to Rei? Then he flipped over the paper to meet with the same words.

Successfully Exterminated. 

There was no denying it. This was one of the offices of the authorities. And these words...

EMBER was the authorities. 

Rei had been killed by the people Arlo had thought would protect them. 

But he had been so wrong. 

*************

Suspense... heh. I just read the first few episodes I made and I crinGED need to edit them later on.