Part 3: The Standoff

John saw the door creak open at the roof. He stood up briskly, facing his enemy.

John: Arlo.

Arlo: What do you want John?

John glared at Arlo. He blamed it all on him. Arlo had pushed him too far and now had exposed him to Sera. His anger was rising by the second as he paced back and forth, and Arlo seemed to have sensed it.

Arlo: Now wait a second John. I know I already said sorry, and I know it didn't have any effect. But I have something else to offer you.

John paused. He was wary of this offer Arlo was talking about. Last time, when he agreed with Arlo, he had gotten ambushed. But it couldn't hurt to just hear it.

John liked deals.

John: What is your... offer?

Arlo: I'll help you become friends with Seraphina again. I promise. But I want you to stop your rampaging, and I want you to not threaten to kill me every time we're in private or public.

John was fuming. Shouldn't he have the right to do so? After the misery Arlo had caused him, couldn't he have a chance to vent it all out?

Arlo: John, my apology was genuine that day. I want us to just go back to strangers, nothing more. I want it to all go back to what it used to be. Please.

John usually wouldn't have cared what Arlo wanted. But this was the exact thing he wanted too. He desperately wanted to accept. He would accept peace for Seraphina again. He could ignore Arlo. But he was afraid; He was afraid it would all just be fake. 

Arlo: If you're scared I'll ambush you or something, things can't get worse than now, can it?

Seraphina hated him and lost her ability. People were still beating him up. The school was in chaos. John had to admit that Arlo was right. Even expulsion might be a nice option, as it would get him out of this mess he had partially created. 

John: If I accept, just how will you help me?

Arlo: I'll convince her somehow that you aren't as bad as she might had seen. I'll find a way for her to accept her actions. 

John: Without throwing yourself under the bus? So you won't admit that it was you that started it all?

Arlo sighed. He had to admit that he started it, but obviously he didn't want any more trouble between him and Seraphina. 

Arlo: Sorry. But please. I don't want more... chaos in my life.

John grabbed Arlo and swung out his fist. It hit Arlo's jaw square on, but Arlo didn't seem to care. In fact, John's own hand started to hurt. It was his dumb passive John hated. But he didn't care. He hated Arlo far more than he hated Arlo's passive. He wanted to hurt Arlo, more than Arlo had hurt him. He pulled back his arm once more.

Arlo: John. Please.

Something in Arlo's face and voice made John stop, his fist inches from Arlo's face.

John didn't want to agree now that Arlo didn't want to tell her about the incident that started it all. But he didn't have another choice. He also didn't want to let his temper get the best of him. He had to show himself that he could control his own mind and body. He dropped his arm. 

John: Don't get the idea that I'm forgiving you.

Silence passed between them for a few moments, Arlo waiting, and John thinking. Finally, John sighed.

John: Its a deal.

*********