Part 28: Let's Go

Will you defeat EMBER with me?

Arlo honestly didn't know. He knew it was dangerous and he would feel better if he went along with the others. He was capable of protecting Remi. But at the same time, he already knew John most likely could handle any fight. He had most certainly experienced John's strength. 

So he had left John on hold for one day. But he was pretty sure he wasn't even needed, so he was going to decline. He had other matters to deal with at the moment.  

Arlo walked over to John's room and knocked. John literally broke the door open. One of the hinges broke. We stared at it for a few seconds, then John broke the silence. 

John: Soooooooo... are you going?

Arlo: I'm not. 

John: Are you sureee?

Arlo: I'm... very sure. 

John: Arlo, we're not going to die with me being there! Come on, don't be a coward.

Arlo: I'll need more time to.... think about this. And don't call me a coward, please. I have my own reasons. 

Yesterday Night...

Arlo scrolled through his contacts to look for someone when he finally stopped.

Aunt Valerie.

He wasn't sure if she would have changed her number by now, but he had to try.

What was going on inside the authorities? 

*Ring ring, ring ring -*

Person: Hello? 

Arlo: Hello. Is this still my aunt Valerie? 

Valerie: Oh my gosh, is it you Arlo? 

Arlo: Yes. I suppose you haven't changed your number because you recognize me. 

Valerie: Yes. I haven't gotten time these days. Too many things to handle. 

Arlo: Also... I have a question. 

Valerie: Ask away. 

Arlo: Weren't you the assistant of the one trying to uncover Rei's case? 

Valerie: ...yes. Why do you ask? 

Arlo: Have you found anything new? It's been quite a long time. Can I visit you?

Valerie: Uh... we're still trying to uncover some things. I'll give you an update. My boss is calling me, gotta run!

*Click*

Something was most definitely fishy here. His aunt wasn't acting the same as before, where she said he could rely on her for anything. But it had been months and high level authorities couldn't find the one person who potentially killed Rei? Not even a lead? 

If he wasn't getting answers, he was going to go find them.

****************

Blyke was considering taking his chances and running off. But he would probably die without his ability, and Claire could die because they would tell her that it had been her fault he ran. And by now, Claire was his friend, he was quite sure. 

Claire: Here's your food Blyke. 

Blyke groaned because his lazy muscles ached as he took the plate from her. He then started shoveling food into his mouth. It tasted a bit weird today. More... metallic? But trusting Claire he just kept eating. His head started to feel foggy. Blyke started to panic. Was Claire not his friend after all?

Then he felt his mind clear, more alert than ever. Claire grabbed the finished plate and started to leave. 

Claire(whispering): Your ability should be back. 

Then the door closed as she locked it behind her. Blyke was shocked beyond the skies. He was ecstatic, was tempted to activate his ability, but it would be caught on the cameras. He walked toward the bars and punched on them. With his ability, he would be slightly stronger in real life too. Then, he punched the bars twice, and it bent. 

His ability really was back! Now he felt a stronger urge to run. He could easily take down the low-elite level guards from a distance most likely. He could escape!

But the thoughts dissipated as soon as he saw Volcan walking down the hallway. She looked inside every cell room before she stopped in front of Blyke's door. 

Volcan: I know that you know everything. And you're smart enough to not fall for anything I do. 

She leaned closer, making Blyke flinch backward.

Volcan: What are you plotting?

She stared at Blyke for a while more, then turned to leave. 

Volcan: I'll get Claire to feed a truth potion to you or something. Then... I'll let you "go".

Blyke shuddered when he realized that she was saying she would kill him. But there was one good thing. She didn't seem to suspect Claire, and he could somehow use the fact to his advantage.

****************

Remi: So Arlo said no? 

John shrugged. 

John: He said he had his own reasons. Maybe some KING duties. Is he still king? Hmm. Not sure. 

Remi: No more of that. We gotta find the place. 

John: How the heck do we find her again? 

Remi: Here's Isen.

Remi dragged Isen out from the alley where he stared at John with fear. 

Isen: H-hey John!

Remi: Since Volcan probably won't come anymore if I ask her, we'll have to use Isen's ability. 

John: You want me to use his ability to find Blyke. This wouldn't be so bad other than the fact that he could be f_____ ANYWHERE in the world. 

Remi: I'm sorry! I didn't have a better plan. I really can't think of another idea! Volcan will never come to us because she told us last time she would never meet me agai-

John, who had now activated his ability and copied Isen's, could feel her heartbeat rising. She was panicking, which wouldn't help at all during the moment. 

John: Ok ok. I can see your desperation and I'll... accept this idea. BUT. Not my fault if we never find him because he's now in Russia or something. 

They were back in the last place Remi had seen Blyke. John was now cursing as he jumped around everywhere. He was not optimistic that he would find Blyke anywhere. He jumped down into an alley to rest for a moment when he saw a dark puddle on the ground that could have been anything from water to gasoline. But because of his hunter ability, he could see it was easily blood. 

Using his amplified hunter ability, he matched the DNA to as many people as he could.

It was Blyke's.