NINE

The scribbling of Yumi's pencil against her notebook was scratching at her ears. Her eyebrows stuck together in both concentration and aggravation as she did her homework in her well lit room.

She'd appreciated the workload her school had been dumping down on her before the upcoming Midterms, because it's been a good excuse way for her to busy herself with something..anything.

Yumi wasn't just using the schoolwork as a distraction, but as a means of avoiding long talks with her parents. The car accident that she'd stopped with her abilities had sprung about a ton of questions in Akito and Chiharu's minds. She knew that. And that's why she was actively locking herself in her room.

As she sat there in her study, Yumi's heavy lidded eyes left finally gave out and closed for a few moments. She's been nothing but conflicted about her suppressed psychokinesis.

Her pupils moved beneath her lids before she fluttered them open. Yumi, staring at the pencil case in the edge of her desk. She could easily extend her hand and reach out for it. That's how she lived all these years. But as Jean Grey, she used her abilities on a daily basis at Xavier's school. Whatever menial task she needed to perform, like reaching for things, brushing her hair, etc.. It was part of the Professor's teachings; if she could use it in moderation, she could slowly take control over it instead of being afraid of it. That was the whole point of his school for mutants. She thought it had worked for her, but she turned out to be wrong.

With great hesitation, Yumi projected her telekinetic energy to take hold of the pencil case. It was emitted from her and took shape into a force only she could sense and feel. Slowly, but surely, the stationery levitated in the air, and under her command, it made its way to her. The case fell into her stretched out palm with a low thump and Yumi's lips soon formed a tight line.

'I feel sick.'

Yumi had realized something after unleashing her power to save her parents. Only then she felt how hard it was for her to suppress it all this time. She knew that amongst the storm of emotions she felt that day, there was something other than relief and fear swarming within her. She felt...the sweet sensation of release.

Like with her telepathy, her telekinesis was part of her, no matter how much she tried to reject it. For almost a decade she tried to hold these secrets inside her, this hidden power. She'd done so for so long that her mind became diseased with her suppression. Congested. Distressed.

Still, that didn't make it okay for her to use it. Just the simple levitation of that piece of stationary made her feel guilty. Just like when she used it to shield herself and her parents. You'd think after such a feat, Yumi would accept the powers she was born with.

'But it's not that easy. None of it is.'

The wooden chair she was sitting on screeched against the hardwood floor once she got up to stretch.

Yumi's hands raised above her head to relieve her aching muscles, an action she abruptly halted after a few seconds once her eyes fell on one of her childhood pictures. It was a framed photo, captured on her fourth birthday.

'It's two years before I got my memories back..'

She mindlessly picked it up, fingers tracing her own face in the picture. She looked so blissfully ignorant. So..

Happy.

Yumi's nose scrunched in distaste. She couldn't help but think that things would have been so much easier for her if she hadn't went to the park that faithful day. That day she unlocked her quirk and her memories along with it. Things would have turned so different.