ELEVEN

Yumi harshly gripped her knees and wiped the sweat trickling down her forehead, trying to catch her breath. 'I think.. I made it.' She guessed, her green eyes searching the field.

The redhead had successfully cleared all three obstacles of the race, only relying on her natural athletic ability and the occasional telepathy. But as she mentally went through it, Yumi had found that she didn't actually use her quirk for the majority of the race -a feat that she was partially proud of.

She then gave a quick calculative scan of the people who had made it before she did, heeding no mind to the horde of people who rushed in after her. She tried to guess what place she had gotten in the race, to ensure her success in making it through.

As she did, her eyes fell to the boy, who had come in first place. She recognized him from the big screen that had his victorious arrival on replay. The boy, Midoriya, was actually sobbing from joy.

He had cleared the minefield in an instant, using the somewhat harmless explosives to his advantage to blast himself in the air. Yumi was almost envious that she didn't come up with that idea since the whole of the minefield obstacle was a nuisance. But much to her pleasure, a trail of ice had been created by 'Iceman' towards the end of the field, providing her and the rest a path to use.

"Now, take a look at the results!" Midnight cackled, gesturing for the students to approach.

Yumi was snapped back to reality when the screen started displaying the results of the first game.

Everyone gathered to watch the screen slowly display the names and ranking of those who had made it through. The telepath patiently awaited for her name to show up, whilst the rest were shaking from the anxiety. She recognized a few people up there on the board, one of whom was Ochako, who had made it in 16th place. The photo of the rosy cheeked girl along with her rank had brought an unconscious smile to Akano's face. And unsurprisingly, Shinso got 27th place, since she saw him idly making it ahead of her in the race due to the aid of someone else's quirk -something he was able to accomplish due to his Brainwashing.

'30th, huh? Not bad, I guess..' Yumi thought to herself. What she didn't understand though, was the fact that a lot of the B class students occupied the lower ranks. Of course, not all Quirks were suitable for the race, but it still didn't make sense that basically all of them were accumulated below everyone else. The notion making her rub her chin in thought.

Shinso then approached her, his tired eyes looking her way. "I'm surprised you made it this far. I thought you had no interest in 'playing hero'." He muttered as he stood by her side, purple irises darting back to the huge screen ahead.

She bowed her head at him, acknowledging his presence before her rosy lips loosely pressed together. She knew he wasn't trying to use her own words against her, but that he was genuinely curious as to why she suddenly became so invested in the event.

"..I changed my mind."

Hitoshi looked slightly taken aback, but before he could say anything in reply, he was interrupted by the voice blaring through the speakers.

"The top 42 made it through to the next round!" Midnight declared, much to the disappointment of the ones who didn't make it through.

"You were right." Shinso quietly said to Akano, and the latter only shrugged in response. "Of course I was."

"It's unfortunate, but don't worry even if you didn't make it! We've prepared other chances for you to shine." The Umpire licked her lips in mischief, playfully watching the participants tensing up. "The real competition begins next! The press cavalry'll be all over it! Give it your all! Now then, here is the second game." The screen began shuffling through, and the students were shaking from both excitement and worry. However, there was a specific red haired girl that didn't need to look at the screen to know what the next event was going to be. Because she already knew thanks to her mind-reading.