short 2

VALENTINA POV

I sighed holding my head. Rita gave me herbal tea to calm me. We sat on the stool near the kitchen. She sat beside me with worry all over her face.

This is crazy, I thought. Why such a dirty way to make my life miserable. This is why I never got a job. He... no, they spread rumors all around the city about how bad of a wife I was.

They had money, yeah. They had power, yeah. But.. Were they not satisfied that I was divorced by Dean, their successor?

I rubbed my face. Took a deep breath and prayed not to burst out in tears.

"What should I do, Rita? " I asked her with a shaky voice, trying to contain my emotions.

"Oh, darling. I'm so sorry this is happening to you, " she rubbed my back and gave me a side hug. She's such a hugger and I loved it.

My third problem was bigger than the first two. I was divorced, and I was still fine. But when I lost my baby that broke my heart. My life was not that lucky. But this.. This was too much. I felt like I was a fugitive living in my own city.

"If.. If you need a job, Valentina, I can help you a little, " Rita asked me with doubt in her words.

"You're already helping me, Rita. Thank you is not enough to say, " I held her hand that squeezed gently on my arm.

"It's okay, darling. I love to help people," she smiled at me. "Here.. My friend is looking for someone to make an order in the kitchen. The diner is just 4 to 5 blocks to the right turn from here. I can ask her, hmm? "

"But... "

"Hush! You are a sweet woman helping me with house chores. You deserve better. "

"It's like I'm taking you for granted, Rita, " my voice was a little bit shaky but I kept my composure.

"No, darling. You can pay me later if you think like that. But first, " she held my face and like a mother, she gave me a gentle smile as she wiped my lone tear with her thumb. "Let's get you a job. People will never know that some billionaire's ex-wife is in the back room. It's okay. "

"Thank you, " I mused, grateful for everything she had done for me. Returning the hug she had given.

She's such a sweet old woman and I was sad she's living here all alone while her children live across the country. Well yeah, one time her children visited her, but that's all. And I didn't want to assume or judge her family. I never met them.

*

It's been 6 months since I started working in the diner. It's not small or big either but it's just enough for me to save and pay Rita back. It's the least I could do.

I loved my boss. They were a sweet old couple. They were like second parents to me. The first time they gave me a job was not because of pity. Their reaction was unpredictable seeing my face damaged and in need of a job. They didn't have any children so they loved me like their own. And my paycheck was good. Don't forget the tips.

My job was easy besides cooking. I wore a mask to prevent my coworkers from seeing my ugly face and the main reason was I couldn't stand the smell of food too much because I would sneeze unrelentingly. Really, after everything happened to me and the pregnancy hormone changed me.

I still remember the time. That's when she helped me when I was being discharged from the hospital. She helped me to pick my suitcase up in the Trump hotel. She gave me a roof to live in. She let me do the chores around the house and even did the gardening. And when I have time I would like to find a job.